Friday, November 10, 2006

A Real American Haunting

The story I am about to share took place yesterday and it is one of the few times I have ever truly feared for my life.

We got a report from the scanner in our office of a trespassing and possible attempted burglary on a county road outside of Palmer, which is about five minutes north of Ennis. After copying down all the information the dispatcher and officer were sharing I got in my car and headed to the location of the crime. Supposedly two men had parked in a field next to this house and then began running toward the residence with crowbars and hammers in their hand and ski masks over their face.
When I arrived at the home I saw five cars sitting in front of the home at one end of the long driveway. I pulled in and parked near the grouping of cars. Before getting out I got my pad and pen out and thought through what I was going to ask the woman who phoned the police. While doing this I noticed two dogs laying on the ground not too concerned with my recent arrival.
I got out of the car and slowly made my way to the front door. I didn't want to spook the living security system in any way that would give them a reason to attack. I rang the doorbell a couple of times and knocked but nobody answered and I didn't hear anything rustling on the inside.
Making like the diligent reporter I should be I decided to snoop around a bit. Again not wanting to bother the dogs, I slowly began to walk around the side of the house. As I was approaching the rear of the home I found a swimming pool, large carport, trailer and two new dogs who were much more upset about my present than the first wave of canines.
The first dog I noticed was quickly up on his feet and had already made a few steps in my direction. I could tell he was not excited that I was there as his lips were snarled high enough that I could count each pointy instrument of death he was showing off so proudly like the day after a dentists visit. His growl was menacing and extremely threatening, but Little Caeser (that is what I have named him) was nothing compared to the monsterous creature I then saw staggering to his feet.
Zeus (again I have named the dog) was hands down the largest dog I have ever seen in my life. While standing on all four paws, his head easily came up to the top of my chest. I could turn his intestines into a roomy one-bedroom apartment with washer and dryer hookups. Zeus didn't bark much but when he did it began as a low rumble that shook the ground around him until he spewed a short, husky woof that couldn't be ignored.
Little Caeser didn't move much but Zeus was consistently making his way in my direction. At first I froze and forgot the reason I was there in the first place. I regained my wits and slowly started backing toward the front of the house. As I was I slinking to the car I noticed Zeus getting closer and his bark getting more frequent. I grabbed my phone in my left hand, prepared to call 911 in case the canines decided to take a hint from Hitchcock and turn on the humans and had my keys in the other hand repeatedly pushing the unlock button to make sure Mobyd would be ready at the slightest hint of trouble.
Well, since I am writing this I obviously made it back to the office unscathed. The woman I was looking for popped her head from around the side of the house and motioned that it was okay to come out. She and I spoke about the incident and I left moments later.
I have seen some large dogs in my time, one being my mom's boyfriend's rottweiler, but Zeus wins the prize for most horse-like canine.

1 comment:

Matt said...

I have been counting down the minutes since about Friday.