Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Session 3

Made my third trip to Choctaw last night, and I am happy to say I made another mark in the win column.
I peaked at $500, after buying in for $200 into the $1-2 no-limit game, but walked out with $416. I lost a big hand a little more than two hours into my session but was able to get a lot of it back on a full house about three hands before I left.
With A-Q offsuit I raised it from middle position to $8, which was a standard raise (I love Choctaw for that). The person on my immediate left raised it to $16. It folded around to me and I called the extra bet. The flop came down A-6-4. I immediately led out with $25 into the $35 pot. My opponent raised the minimum, making it $50 to go. I didn’t hesitate to call the $25. The reason for no hesitation was a lot of players will raise the minimum to get a free card on the turn when they are on a draw of some sorts or have something they think might be second best and are trying to get a free card on the turn.
The turn was a 2 and I obliged to try and give him a free card because I wasn’t certain where I was in the hand. He led out for $50. Without hesitation I called.
This is where I faltered in my opinion. At this point I should feel pretty good that I am beat by either A-K or better. He had shown aggression throughout and was representing a good hand. If I had thought the hand through a little more I most likely would have realized that I was drawing to one of the three Queens. At that point I should either fold (which is the best option in this situation) or raise thinking I might get him to lay his hand down if it is just A-K. However, this player was a guy who would not lay down hands, as you will find out soon enough.
The river was a Jack and we both checked. I flipped over my hand and he showed his A-K. I think I lost an extra $50 more than I should have. My calls up to the turn were okay, but that last call on my part was a mistake.
I doubled up at the end of the night when I called a pre-flop raise with A-10 after another person called the raise. The raise was from the same gentleman who re-raised with the A-K from the hand I described earlier and my call was a little bit revenge, a little bit calculated, only because he was playing a lot of hands and he could very likely have two face cards or a middle pair. The flop came down 10-5-10. I checked. He led out for $20. The limper in late position called. I raised it to $50. The original raiser called. The limper folded. This then left me with $134 left.
The turn was a 7. I thought long and hard about how to get all my money in the pot. At this point there was approximately $150 in the pot. I didn’t want to push everything I had on the turn and get him out of the hand. I was willing to gamble if he was on some kind of straight draw or had a pair that he just wouldn’t let go of. I decided $70 was the right price. He called the bet.
The river was another 7. This card actually hurts me because if he did have a 10 then I am splitting the pot and if he has anything else other than a pair higher than 10 he most likely isn’t calling my all in. I showed my disgust with the last card, which was actually genuine anger and not acting, and pushed my remaining $64 in. He thought for a few seconds and called. I showed and he looked at his hand and mucked. It just happened I saw what he had and it was Q-Q. Go me.
A significant loss in a $20 tournament and some bad sessions online this weekend cost me about $60, but with this $216 profit from last night my bankroll is steadily growing. It now sits at $1,372.75.

4 comments:

james said...

i would have check/called on the flop. and not because in hind sight we know he has AK, but rather because betting out makes it obvious that you have the ace. on this flop you're going to have the best hand more times than not and by checking you most likely get an extra bet from him when he is behind in the hand. had he not had the ace he would have folded on the flop. not to mention that if you are beat on the flop, you lose less. AQ is a perfect hand to check/call down with.

james said...

also, by betting out on the flop, you're opponent is going to put you on an ace and will know that you will have a hard time letting it go. if he knows he has you beat, as he would with AK, he's just going to start milking you on the turn and river. by check/calling on the flop you can represent hands that are stronger than you really are on later streets. he might even check behind you on the turn (though not likely).

james said...

one other question...

on a flop of A-6-4 in a pot that was reraised preflop, what draw are you putting him on when he makes his minimum raise on the flop?

Matt said...

There were two of a suit on the flop and this was not the best player in the world, so it is not inconceivable to see him make a small re-raise with K-Q or Q-J suited. Crazy I know, but not everyone can be as good as us.
Besides, the minimum raise on the flop could mean Kings or Queens and he just wants to make it to the end without having to put out too much more money, but that theory is thrown out on the turn when he bets another $50.