Monday, February 25, 2008

80th Academy Awards Reaction

The day after the Oscars is so depressing for me. I should look at it as the begining of a time to look forward to the possibilities of Academy Award potential films being released and what could be, but instead I reflect on what took place the night before and whether or not those who won were deserving.
This year I would say there weren't a ton of surprises. I didn't see the Best Actress winner coming. I had never heard of her and didn't know she stood a chance, but congratulations to her. Although I liked Juno and Michael Clayton more, I was pretty certain No Country For Old Men was going to take home the award for Best Picture and Best Director. The more I thought about that movie and its casting, acting, direction, etc., the more I liked it. I'm okay with it winning all the awards it did. I was very happy to see Juno win something. I fully recommend seeing that movie. It is a joy.
At first I gave Jon Stewart a solid B for his effort at this year's ceremony. He had a few flops that pulled him down in the ranking, but then when I started reading some of the jokes from last night's telecast and remembering how hard I laughed at his material (especially the stuff he made up on the spot) I really liked it. I have since bumped him up to a B+.
I still hold a perfect record in the Animated Feature category. I am proud to have that, which makes up for tying Joanna this year in our game of picking the winners. We both picked 11, Clint scored 9 and my mom brought up the rear with 7. It was a good ceremony overall, but it would be hard for me to not enjoy the Oscars. Unlike a lot of people, I liked that they did montages of past Oscar winners. It made me remember what a great medium film is and how many wonderful films Hollywood has given us.

No comments: