Monday, November 09, 2015

A Brief Review Of 'Spectre'

The wait is over and my initial fears and expectations have been replaced by reflection and critique.  Spectre was an enjoyable film that didn't quite live up to what I was hoping for, but it was still a satisfactory entry into the 007 film series.  Because of the great success and astounding praise I have heaped on the previous Sam Mendes-directed Bond picture, Skyfall, I was hoping this one would be just as good, if not better.  While there certainly were elements that exceeded Skyfall, as well as other Bond movies of the past 53 years, overall it didn't quite reach that level of quality I had formulated in my mind.
 
A new list of rankings will have to be put together, which will break down more thoroughly what I liked and didn't like about the movie, but after only two viewings this past weekend, Spectre is most likely going to land just outside the top ten for me.
 
Some highlights of the movie include the pre-title sequence in Mexico City, and especially the opening tracking shot that is reminiscent of what Birdman did for an entire two hours, the henchman Mr. Hinx, the overall atmosphere of a classic Bond adventure from the 60s, as well as the performances of Daniel Craig and Léa Seydoux.

No comments: