Friday, May 19, 2017

Another Season, Another Marvel Movie To Rank

With the release of Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2 a couple of weeks ago, I have considered its inclusion in the Marvel Cinematic Universe pantheon and with a small change to the  middle of my rankings since the premiere of Doctor Strange late last year I have come up with a new ranking of the Marvel movies.  Compared with lists across the Internet, the only real shocker for my list is my disregard for the team-up Avenger films.  I am not as high on the Joss Whedon-directed movies as most.

It will be clear that my love of the Guardians sequel likely stems from the unbridled joy I get from multiple viewings of its predecessor.  I could even tell on a second screening of the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel that its faults were a little more blatant and unforgiving than first realized.  However, even with all its burdens, and the heavy-handed messages about "family" that gives the viewer a feeling they are in the midst of one of the too-many Fast and Furious movies, it is still a thrilling, laugh-out-loud entry in the MCU worthy of a generous place on the overall rankings.

Without further ado, here is my updated list of the MCU films:

15. Iron Man 2
14. Thor: The Dark World
13. Captain America: The First Avenger
12. The Avengers
11. The Incredible Hulk
10. Iron Man 3
9. Avengers: Age of Ultron
8. Thor
7. Ant-man
6. Doctor Strange
5. Captain America: Civil War
4. Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2
3. Iron Man
2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
1. Guardians of the Galaxy

No comments: