Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Overrating Or Selective Viewing

So far with 2017 more than halfway over, I have seen 12 movies released this calendar year.  It turns out that half of those I gave a rating of eight stars.  Another three received seven stars.  This leaves only three films left, which earned six stars, three stars, and two stars (oh how terrible the Alien and Underworld series have become).

Having a year with six, or even 10, films rated eight stars or higher isn't abnormal.  However, I still have Oscar season to get through, which likely means that another three or four will get some high ratings.  And that doesn't include the surprise standouts or great films I've also missed the past seven months.

This revelation has led me to believe that one of two things is happening.  Either I am overrating movies that are good, but not great, or I've become extremely good at picking out the great films to see and this is going to end up being an impressive year in film.  I'm hoping it is the latter.

No comments: