Monday, August 16, 2004

Are Movies A Form Of Art?

This question is like asking, "Is fishing a sport?" Is the guy casting his line constantly and searching for the perfect spot to catch Big Bertha Bass for ESPN8 (the Ocho), or are two guys rowing out into the middle of the pond, opening a beer every six minutes and chugging until they're almost too drunk to row back to their wives who are irate because they didn't paint the shed like they promised they would?
Is Citizen Kane or American Beauty art? Yes. What about Alien vs. Predator or Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow? Absolutely not! The latter films are inane and only comparable to such drivel like a third graders scribbling or Ross' sound effect laden keyboard "music." It is nothing more than entertainment and amusement.
So this brings us to the former films, movies like Lawrence of Arabia, Schindler's List and 2001: A Space Odyssey. These films have artistic vision. The directors used all of their abilities in filmmaking to put together a story with visual spectacle, meaningful dialogue and substance. They brought together cinematographers, actors, composers, editors and many others to try and compose a work of art.
Some of you may agree with this opinion while others might think I have no clue what art is. I will admit, I don't understand artsy fartsy people. Some weirdo copying a Cambell's Soup can onto a canvas shouldn't be categorized with Picasso (although I don't see what the big deal about Picasso is either). I can't comprehend how people can call this kind of thing fine art. They are just odd beings who think they have some higher understanding of life because they see the world through abstract expressionism and eat unusual meals like rumaki.
This has all come up because I got in an argument with my mom the other day about George Lucas updating his movies. I said they are works of art that should not be meddled with. She said I was just complaining on principle. I asked her if it would be okay to update the Mona Lisa to be wearing a tank top and capris and have a laptop plugged in the wall. Tell me if I was wrong to feel this way.
I would like to know what you think. Can film be art or is it all just a distraction that is generic and mass produced by Hollywood to make the most money? Should we the audience be more intune to our sense of taste and class by not supporting such crap like Catwoman or anything involving Keanu Reeves? Please comment so I can get a better understanding of the normal movie goer's psyche.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm far from a normal moviegoer, but I think all movies are a form of art. Even the ones that lack a substantial plot. Sex scenes, gratuitous violence, and stupid jokes are all forms of expression. Note how just about all of it is portrayed dramatically.

But I see where you're coming from. What you define as "not art" I call "basic art." I think we can agree that some movies require less talent to produce than others.

Anonymous said...

This is Hollywood Celebrity and Superstar Keanu Reeves. Why do you feel it necessary to put me down? I know I disappointed my fans by not appearing in Speed 2 “CRUISE CONTROL”, but I thought I made up for it by staring in The Matrix 1, 2, and 3.

Is that what this is about? Look I sorry about Speed 2 but I’m tired of apologizing. Look if it will make it up to you I’ll tell you about my idea for an alternate ending to The Matrix. Right at the end when the machines are about to kill everyone I suddenly wake up in bed and it was all just a dream. Or was it? You get it. Maybe it was a dream or maybe I’m back in the Matrix. Now the audience goes home wondering was it real or was it just a dream. Now that would have been an awesome ending.

Anyways, hope you’re still not angry with me Matt. Next time you want to vent your frustration pick on a real loser like Pierce Brosnan and those ridicules James Bond 007 movies. Yeah what kind of loser is he.

Sincerely, Keanu Reeves