Thursday, August 05, 2004

My Third Rant

It had to happen some time. I wasn't going to be able to hold it in forever. George Lucas has finally pissed me off for the last time. Lucas has pushed me to the decision to e-mail Fox Home Theater and find out why we can't get a version of the Star Wars films that are exactly the same as when they came out in theaters in the 70s and 80s.
Is it too much to ask for the original versions? I don't think so. Does George own the rights to the merchandising of his films? This is the only answer I can come up with. Why not release the originals? He could make even more money from all the geeks and movie idiots (like myself) on multiple purchases.
What set this rant off was I heard some disparaging news from a frequently viewed website about the DVD trilogy of Episode IV-VI coming out on September 21. The following is an excerpt from the site:
But even more exciting (or depressing) information that came out of the convention were the copies of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD Collection (due September 21st, as if you weren't aware) that were making their way around the convention to those in the know, with connections, or sticky fingers. So for those fearing (or hoping) that Lucas would again make extensive changes to the classic first three movies in the saga, you will get your wish. Everything from less readily apparent changes - sound effects to the color of a lightsaber - to more substantive additions, including Ian McDiarmid (the evil Emperor) replacing Clive Revill in The Empire Strikes Back, to Anakin Hayden Christensen's face (badly) added to the body of Sebastian Shaw at the end of Return of the Jedi, or a chorus of cheering Gungians (or whatever those Jar Jar things are called) also tacked on to the finale of Jedi, will be found in the new DVDs. Sigh...but find out for yourself when the set reaches a galaxy near you this fall.
I just don't understand. Why is he ruining one of the greatest trilogies in celluloid history? He's already butchered the two newest films with such mistakes as Jar Jar Binks, Hayden Christensen and overuse of the green screen. Can this guy not go outside and scout a location? At least Peter Jackson used real fields of New Zealand in the Lord of the Rings films.
A director should not be able to change his films permanently. Once it has been shown on the big screen, there should always be an available copy of that particular version. A director could change it for a special DVD release, but the original should also have its own disc. Am I wrong to think this way?
Mark August 5 as the day Matt Cook decided to say, "Damn the man." I am going to take Lucas down and get what I want. If Michael Moore can destroy a president, I can destroy a dork. I don't care if he is Chairman of the Board of Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC, Lucas Digital Ltd. LLC., Lucas Licensing Ltd. and Lucas Learning Ltd. He also owns Skywalker Ranch. The guy is a flannel wearing, grey bearded loser who hasn't changed his look since 1975. I will fight the system and win. I'll call Johnny Cochran. I'll call Erin Brockovich. I'll call whoever can get the job done.
I must stop the evil mongrel from destroying other great films like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Willow. Please join me in the good fight against the dark side.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want it noted that you said Star Wars is one of the greatest triologies of all time. Oh and as you know I totally disagree with you on this one. He is making the films better, more interesting, and a complete set by changing those things.

Matt said...

Look Joanna, digitally adding storm troopers riding giant snails with legs in the Tatoine desert isn't enhancing the complete set. It just shows off his talents at a computer desk. Whoop-a-dee-doo. I am not fascinated by it and I want him to go back to basics.
I believe in basics. This is why I enjoy films like King Kong (the 1933 version) and The Wizard of Oz so much. They are basic and simple, yet still used new technology to enhance the film.

Anonymous said...

Wizard of Oz has a scene where you can see a stagehand hang himself in the background. That could've used some editing.

Matt said...

To clear up any confusion, there is no midget hanging in the background of the set. I have watched the scene frame by frame (with the DVD). It is supposed to be during the tin man's introduction. There is no one hanging themselves. It is one of those movie myths that have been passed down through the years. Sorry to burst anyones bubble about that.

Anonymous said...

the "person" hanging themselves, you boobs, is one of the many animals that roamed the set. it's a deer that has its head down and then picks it up. you'd have to be a moron to think it is actually someone hanging themselves. that sure is easy to miss on-set...

Anonymous said...

Can I say that I agree with your derision against Lucas for his replacement of Clive Revill? Granted, the scene itself is gratuitous because Vader already knows about Luke and is scouring the galaxy for him. But aside from that, Clive Revill's pronunciation of the word "asset" in the scene is just pristinely awesome, and third--as you mentioned--why tinker with brilliance? I actually own the original versions of SW and Empire, having located them in the early-mid 90s before the Special Edition came out. I also have a slightly remastered, pre-Special Edition copy of Jedi. It's nice to be a purist, eh? I really wish Lucas would release the originals again as well, and he should put the freaking Biggs Darklighter scenes in A New Hope. THat would be awesome. That's all I want to see. If you ever want to chat about SW, my email's pinkypatchy@yahoo.com and my name's Beth. Peace:)