Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer Blockbuster Guessing Game

My wife and I have had an ongoing bet for several years now that includes the summer blockbuster movie season. We guess which film is going to bring in the most money in a nine-week time period. We combine domestic gross with foreign markets, which factors in the decision making process because some movies (such as the Harry Potter franchise) are huge overseas.
This summer was the fourth time we’ve made the bet and sadly I have yet to get a win. I’m the movie guy in the family and yet I can’t even pick the top grosser of the summer. I wouldn’t equate Joanna’s wins each year to a woman sitting down with her boyfriend while he is watching a baseball game and her rooting for the guys in the red shirts because they look nicer, but I certainly should have an edge in this competition. It would be like me making a five-course meal that would have the judges of the Next Food Network Star salivating over, despite Joanna being the master of the kitchen.
The previous summers I have received every kind of defeat possible. I’ve come within millions of winning but also I have seen a blowout of epic proportions, thanks to Nolan’s success with The Dark Knight. The following are our earlier bets and how I came out.

2006:
Joanna – X-Men: The Last Stand – $459 million
Matt – Superman Returns – $391 million
Biggest Moneymaker – The Da Vinci Code – $758 million

2007:
Joanna – Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – $960 million
Matt – Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – $938 million
Biggest Moneymaker – Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – $960 million

2008:
Joanna – The Dark Knight – $948.5 million
Matt – Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull – $748 million
Biggest Moneymaker – The Dark Knight – $948.5 million

Our 2009 bet includes Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Although it is not yet complete, it is looking like I will get my first victory in our annual guessing game. Yea, go me!

No comments: