Friday, January 28, 2011

I Watch Too Many Movies

During the month between the announcement of Academy Award nominations and the ceremony, I get a little too focused on the Oscars. What that means for you is a lot of Academy Award and movie posts for the next few weeks.
As I have seen every motion picture the Academy Awards have ever bestowed the Best Picture title to, I was curious to know how many of the nominees I’ve seen. Including the winners and other nominees from the previous 82 ceremonies beginning in 1928, there have been a total of 475 movies nominated for the Best Picture category. Of that group I have watched at least once, and in some cases too many to count like The Godfather series, Star Wars or Casablanca, a grand total of 272. That equates to more than half of the nominees. The exact percentage would be a shade over 57 percent.
That is not bad. Following this year’s Best Picture Showcase event I will be taking part in I will have seen nearly 58 percent of the nominees and that number is constantly rising as I continue to watch new movies weekly. In my Netflix queue right now I have an additional four nominated films to watch that were put there prior to the idea of this post.
Maybe someday I will shoot to see every movie ever nominated for Best Picture, but that is a mighty big task to take on.

1 comment:

Betty and Wilma said...

lol I spend way too much time and now with netflix online which I stream thru the projector we spend way too much time watching movies and TV series. Thanks for the read. Enjoyed seeing the world through your eyes! See you around!