Monday, January 04, 2016

James Bond One-Off Continuation Novel Rankings

Hope all had a good New Year holiday.  With three kids in tow, New Year's Eve isn't exactly the party night it once was in my younger years.  The real party for me was Saturday when my film club got together to watch Kill Bill: Vol. 1 and Kill Bill: Vol. 2.  It had been probably a decade since I had watched either of those movies, and I have to admit that with time my appreciation for them has increased.  I will probably get to a ranking of Quentin Tarantino's films after seeing The Hateful Eight.
 
However, that is not what this post is about.  While restoring the house to its normal order and putting our holiday decorations in the attics and closets they collectively belong in for 11 months of the year, I came across a list of the solo books for James Bond continuation authors and saw that I had made a ranking of them.  Yet, that list had not made it to the archives of this blog.  So that is the true purpose of my writing today.
 
The following four books are my ranking of the novels about British superspy 007, otherwise known as James Bond.  I have included the author with each title since no writer was asked to return.
 
1. Trigger Mortis - Anthony Horowitz
2. Solo - William Boyd
3. Devil May Cry - Sebastian Faulks
4. Carte Blanche - Jeffery Deaver
 
It should be noted that Horowitz did have the benefit of composing his work from an unfinished manuscript by original author Ian Fleming, with a single chapter completed by Fleming himself.  However, Horowitz does an excellent job with what he was given and comes the closest to replicating Fleming's original style.

No comments: