Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Origins Of Energy

I don’t know what made me think about this today but for some reason I asked myself the question, “If God doesn’t exist and the Big Bang Theory really is the way things started for our universe, then where did that energy come from in the first place?”
This post probably stems from the recent remark made by physicist Stephen Hawking about Heaven being a “fairy story,” but whatever the reason for my pondering it still begs the question of how our entire existence came to be if a higher power doesn’t exist.  I will not hide the fact that I believe in God, have faith that He created us, and my faith will one day result in me spending eternity in that fairy story place called Heaven.  My feelings on this subject have been tested in the past and I eventually decided I do believe what I was taught as a child in Sunday school.
As for my question about where the energy that started the Big Bang came from, I’m still asking.  Those who disbelieve creationism, not wanting to buy into the idea that the only thing Christians have to go on in trusting that God exists is faith, in actuality have to have the same form of faith.  The best answer right now to where the matter came from for the Big Bang is that it has always existed.  It may have been in a different form, but since energy can neither be created nor destroyed it has to have always been in existence, so where did it come from in the first place?  It is the same conundrum that Christians have when atheists ask where God came from. Our best answer is He has always been there.
However, the difference in our two answers is that with our faith we can trust that our answer is true and God will reveal how things began once we are in Heaven, whereas those who put their faith in science will never be able to answer that question with any certainty and will ultimately be forced to have the same amount of faith as Christians, just directed in a different direction.
And I’m not stating I am entirely against the idea that the universe began as the result of a Big Bang.  Where I differ from those who don’t believe in a higher power is that I think God instigated the Big Bang and created the energy necessary for such an event.  Again, I don’t have all the answers and am not sure where I stand on the Big Bang Theory, but what I do know is that if that is the way things began in our universe then it was God who directed the thing.

No comments: