Thursday, July 14, 2011

Apparent Netflix Greed Doesn't Upset Me

Following the recent announcement that Netflix would be hiking their subscription rates up led to massive revolts on the Internet with users screaming about the increase and threatening cancellation.  As of two days later, several acted on their threats, moving to Redbox or going back to brick-and-mortar video stores like Blockbuster.  I completely understand the outrage, but I’m just not a part of it and the reason is twofold.
The first reason is the pricing increase actually is going to benefit me.  I have been complaining for a little while about the lack of options for streaming through Netflix and the service on my blu-ray player is very hit and miss.  With Netflix raising prices for my option, which is unlimited discs through the mail one at a time and unlimited streaming, I will drop the streaming side of the service and stick with the DVDs through mail only.  By changing my plan and sticking with the portion of service that I have no problem with I will be saving $2 a month from what I currently spend.  Works for me.
The second reason I won’t be cancelling my service and moving to another company is that the selection of classic films is nowhere near as great as with Netflix.  I can’t find silent, black-and-white, German expressionism films anywhere but Netflix and occasionally on Turner Classic Movies.  Redbox’s catalogue doesn’t go further back than about 2008 and Blockbuster is lucky to have the most popular classic films, which I either own or have seen several times already.
For the service I desire, Netflix is for me.  I can see why people are upset about the price increase, but it just doesn’t have the impact on me that it will for others.  So for now I am sticking with Netflix.

1 comment:

Nessa Locke said...

This is pretty cool that you wrote this because there's a debate going on in my house right now about whether to cancel cable and get netflix. Since I didn't know before that there is going to be a price increase, this will definitely weigh in on my final decision.