Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A Pixar First

After 11 marvelous, ground-breaking, history-making films, Pixar has raised its standards extremely high.  From the perspective of storytelling and animation, Pixar films have been unbeatable.  That is what makes the disappointment that is Cars 2 such a unique event.
I, along with several other moviegoers, have always said Cars was Pixar’s weakest movie.  Therefore, making a sequel of that film always left a question mark in my mind and putting more of a focus on Mater, the stalest character of the production company’s plethora of casts, felt like a big mistake.  However, it was Pixar and they had earned enough respect to be given a little latitude.
After going to the drive-in theater in Ennis last night to watch Cars 2, I can safely say it really is Pixar’s first flop.  Financially it will probably still be considered a success and kids are going to love it because of the increase in action, but from the perspective of an adult viewer it was pretty unfulfilling.
I don’t have an official one-to-ten scale score for the movie as I was busy watching over a 3-year-old little girl wanting numerous snacks, pillows, and position changes in the back of our Xterra.  The film was also shown in 3D, which is not ideal for a drive-in theater. I will give the film another chance where I can give it my full attention, but for now the following is my rank of the Pixar animated feature-length films.

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story
3. Finding Nemo
4. Up
5. WALL-E
6. Toy Story 3
7. Monsters, Inc.
8. Toy Story 2
9. Ratatouille
10. A Bug’s Life
11. Cars
12. Cars 2

No comments: