Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Brake Pads On Moby

This past weekend I got in my grunge clothes and did some grease work in the garage.  The brakes on Moby D (my 2000 Toyota Camry) were grinding as I had gone way too long with changing my pads.  The main reason for going so long in having my car maintained was due to lack of funds to pay for the service.  So I decided to save some money and use my big brain to accomplish something that many men (some better, some not) have seemed to figure out on their own.  Therefore, I changed the two front brake pads on my car all by myself.  I needed a little assistance from my father-in-law as he had to provide a set of sockets because my set didn't go large enough to take off a bolt I was having some trouble with.
Overall, the process wasn't that difficult and from now on I will be changing brake pads on my own and my wife's car.  It feels really good to accomplish something that before doing you thought was some special auto garage secret.  I also changed out the wipers on Moby and tried to fix the CD player (when I insert the disc the player can't seem to read anything and then spits the disc back out 15 seconds later).  I will have to either have someone look at the CD player or buy a used player to replace mine.
Moby has returned to running smooth, which is a good thing as I have to keep that car in tip-top shape until Emery turns 16 and needs her first car.  That is only 12 years from now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How ironic. My awesome husband changed my brake pads this weekend after changing his own!!

Unknown said...

Way to go, Matt! It’s good you had the guts to do it by yourself and explore the things that were needed to be done in order to replace your Camry’s brake pads. Like you, I take tasks on my own. I have changed and repaired some parts on our 2003 Mitsubishi Adventure from brake pads to cylinders all in the comfort of my garage. The feeling of accomplishing something with your own hands is beyond words. Good luck with future repairs! :)

Enoch Ross