Saturday, May 22, 2004

Oh Happy Days!

Today is a big day in the poker world. It is the first day in a week long stint of high stakes, big action card playing. Today begins the World Series of Poker. Woo-hoo. The World Series is the mother of all poker tournaments. It's the only poker tournament in the world that could be shown year round on ESPN2 and would have the same ratings everytime. Nobody wants to miss the hilarious verbal banter exchanged between Sam Grizzle and Phil Hellmuth Jr. (the crybaby of poker). Grizzle even went into song last year to crack Hellmuth's playing abilitiy.
Thanks to the World Series of Poker, hundreds, including my cousin Clint, now copy the Sam Farha look, which is an unlit cigarette dangling from the mouth during play. Farha does this because, as of last year, the World Series became smoke free. Farha would use the same cigarette until it seemed its luck had run out. He would then dispose of the "unlucky cigarette," grab a new one and start over.
The World Series is a dream. It is my dream. I will some day be at the World Series of Poker. Now don't mistake what I just said. I will BE at the World Series. This doesn't necessarily mean I will be playing. I think I'm good, but I'm probably not that good yet.
I did however play in a 28 person tournament last Tuesday night and I finished in second place. I was very proud of myself. Though, I'm sure my friends are tired of hearing about it. Said poker tournament is also where I obtained my new nickname: I AM. Clint called me and asked if we were playing poker. I responded in a completely unoffensive tone with the words, "I am." Yet due to a communication break down among friends, these two words set off a chain reaction that could have potentially threatened the downfall of the Vegas trip, which will from now on be titled Three Days of Getting Kicked in the Junk 2004.
So, to let you know, I am extremely excited about the next few days because I can feel the poker playing in the air. Bluffs will be abundant, check raises will be feared and the theme of the week will be Anyone Can Win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Three days of getting kicked in the junk in Vegas." I love it! But I'm going to be kicking Vegas's junk up and down the street.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you and Clint seemed to get a sense of humor about the I AM tournament. Because if you had not your mother would be very disapointed that the two of you weren't getting along.