Monday, May 24, 2004

Principles And Principals

Since my last entry was such a downer, I've decided to tell an uplifting, funny story about my day. Some of you may have already heard about this from my roommate James (whose website is livebside.blogspot.com).
As you may have read, Duff Elementary wronged me. They took away my legacy. I said I would do something about it and I have. Although it wasn't exactly the public revolt I had in mind, I still got the job done.
Here's what happened. I took my thugs James and Chad, marched down to Duff and demanded something be done to rectify the situation.
Okay, that's not exactly what happened. James and Chad just went to watch, secretly believing I wouldn't go through with the outlandish affair, we drove in a Honda Accord and I played the pity card. It got so bad, at one point I actually said, "You removed some of the children's handprints," wait for the small pause, "and I was one of those children." By this time James and Chad were laughing as much as two people can laugh without having a serious medical problem occur. James was bent over in his chair, holding his stomach because the situation was essentially so funny, it was gut-wrenching. Chad had to leave the office and take a few seconds to compose himself in the hall. He came back in the room with his sunglasses on to hide his puffy, tear-filled eyes.
I explained in a very nice and pleading tone that I wished to replace my handprints and name. Principal Owens, who was the vice-principal when I attended Duff, was very complacent with the circumstance and was more than happy to oblige.
When the three of us left, we realized we were grown men, one of us married in fact, and we had spent fifteen minutes of our lives addressing something quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things, yet it was the principle of the thing. We laughed all the way to the car about what had just gone down. It was great. Definetely one of the funniest moments of my life. I wish more of you could have been there to see me take the man down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great title for this post. Definitely was good times.

Anonymous said...

Matt,

I have to say I did not think that you could pull this one off. I have a whole new sense of respect for you and your way of getting things done. For me, the thought of even attempting to make this kind of statement " to be honest I could'nt give a damn " seemed a bit, how can I say this with out offending those who wore helmets and leg braces to school, retarted. However, good job and may you continue to teach Major, not Cade, the finer things in life.

Matt said...

Oh, I'm just giving Cade a couple of more months before we begin his training. I have high hopes with that one. He has great potential to become the next Howard Lederer.
That's the good thing about becoming a professional poker player. No equipment to buy. No golf clubs, bats or latex for the dance routines. It's a self sufficient sport. It's not really a sport but whatever.