Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I've Come About With A Change Of Heart

In the past I have said a few unnecessary and rude comments about George Lucas. I even launched an investigation into how I could bring the man (just the man, not "the Man") down. However, due to recent events I have decided to give the guy a break. Let me explain why.
I believe films are a style of artwork and piece of history. I have blogged about this subject before. While some movies are more beautiful and inspiring pieces of artwork, all deserve to be recorded in books and reference guides for future generations to use as a tool to understand our social views and misunderstood shortcomings.
With that I will also say I am more than moderately passionate about the Star Wars films. These movies established a new genre of film. It was the beginning of the sci-fi action movie. We had sci-fi films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Day the Earth Stood Still, but nothing had been seen like Episode IV: A New Hope. George Lucas had created a stunning world full of both humans and aliens living together a long time ago in a supposed galaxy far, far away. His vision was accepted with open arms and has created a cult following rivaled only by Trekkies and newly rediscovered Hobbits.
I have always complained about wanting the original versions of the first three Star Wars movies (Episode IV, V and VI). I still want this. I am not giving up on the vision of owning the original masterpieces on DVD someday, however I have a new hope (see what I did there) that others will come to understand George Lucas' attitude about his films.
This is the first reason for my retraction. They are his films. He can do whatever he wants to them that he pleases. I recently read an interview concerning Lucas and his films at the following website: http://movies.yahoo.com/news/ap/20040915/109528362999.html. It basically says the originals were not perfect. He envisioned a much greater film with much more special effects and graphics. He now has the ability to transform his films to what he originally wanted. However, this is going to bother the majority of the public because we feel he is ruining a masterpiece. What he adds to the films are both impressive and cheesy. The scenes connecting small areas in a city to a grand aerial view of the metropolis are impressive. Yet, then he cancels it out by adding an abominable camel-like creature that looks as if an eight year old stumbled onto the computer and discovered Adobe Illustrator for the first time. George, a CG panoramic view of Mos Eisley, good. A CG Ton Ton, bad.
Although I am still a little bitter about the computer graphics, I really am glad the old movies are finally on DVD. Which leads me to the next reason for my retraction on George Lucas. I bought the four disc DVD pack at Fry's Electronics for $36.99. Best Buy had it for $41.99, as did Amazon.com. Most executives who owned the rights to the most anticipated trilogy DVD pack would list a retail price of at least $59.99. Lucas, however, has shown me he doesn't necessarily care about the money. He wants his vision to be perfect, not a jillion more dollars. He has shown a token of good faith and I will accept it as a peace offering.
George Lucas, I will bow out and let you live in peace. However, if Episode III sucks, like many think it will, I will strike back (I did it again, did you catch it). I hope to someday see the Star Wars originals on DVD, but I will settle for the tainted, but still visually stunning, releases I have recently purchased.

No comments: