Monday, September 20, 2004

When Will Reality TV Be Realistic?

As a rule of thumb, I try not to watch reality television. I don't believe in it. Personally, I think Ed McMahon going to a person's door is more like reality tv than any survivor or Joe somebody show.
I never really got into The Real World either as a kid. I kind of liked Road Rules, but I still didn't glue myself to the television when it aired. I can never contribute any opinion in a conversation about how kicking Puck out of the house during the San Francisco season changed the show forever.
There are three reasons I don't believe any reality show. The first being they are very far from reality. In The Real World, they are given amazing jobs, an incredible home and no other responsibility. They don't pay rent or bills. They can screw up at their job and won't get fired. Where is this reality? I am close to living this good of a life, but I still have far to go to be like these guys and girls. I would need to move in with a gay guy, a troublemaker, an innocent girl next door who will get laid in the next three months, a girl who is experimenting with her sexuality and a can-do-no-wrong guy with dimples as deep as the Mariana Trench.
How about Survivor? The people who win those shows would never really survive on a deserted island in the South Pacific or the Outback. The winners should be the ex-Navy guys and outdoorsmen (by the way, women can fall under these guy and men examples). Also, when a team runs out of food, is it realistic that a crate of rice just happens to wash up on shore. Come on, where is the reality in this? Tom Hanks got a port-a-potty, not a crate with a gps satelite, flare gun and some food. Don't misundrstand me, I realize Cast Away is not realistic either, but it is much closer than this show.
The second reason I don't like reality television is because the producers lead you in the direction they want you to go. I've learned enough about film and broadcasting to know the editors of shows like Survivor and The Bachelor are cutting and splicing the show for the best possible ratings, not the most accurate display of reality.
In my opinion, a director is not needed for reality tv. A director's responsibility is to provide us with the vision we should see. He begins the cameras rolling and controls the environment for the audience. Reality television shouldn't need any of this. The editor splices the film to manipulate our attitude about Omarosa and her work ethic. In reality television, the cameras should be rolling constantly and the environment is supposed to be natural and not tampered with in any way.
The third and final reason I don't like reality television is because of The Donald. Yes, Mr. Donald Trump has pushed it too far. I haven't been totally honest so far. I have watched a full season of two different reality shows. The first was Joe Millionaire. I wanted to see what the reaction of these women would be when they found out he wasn't rich. I can admit, I was sucked in after the first few episodes, however I never watched the second season and will never watch another season if they ever try that gimmick again. The second show was The Apprentice. I was a huge fan of Troy. I still believe in my heart he should have been given the job.
With only two full seasons and a couple of forced viewings of other shows here and there like The Bachelor and American Idol, I can say with full confidence that Trump has pushed me to never watch reality tv ever again. If anyone watched last weeks task and firing, they will agree that Bradford being fired was the poorest decision making ever executed since Napoleon deciding not to rest for the winter of 1812 on his march through Russia.
Although Bradford did choose unwisely to renege on his exemption, he didn't belong in the board room. If he had been available to choose before the exemption, Ivana wouldn't have even considered the thought of taking him in to be criticized. He had done an exceptional job on both tasks. However, Ivana was stupid and chose him as a possible contestant for firing. Okay, so Ivana made a mistake and Bradford was put in the board room, forgivable. Trump should have given him a pass. He should have said, "Learn from your mistake and lead these women to a win next week." Instead, for ratings and money, he chose to make a spectacle of Bradford. Well, I'm not going to fall for it. I will not continue to watch the circus that Trump is leading and I hope others will join me in this peaceful boycott of The Apprentice.
Although I hate reality tv and will not watch anymore, I understand reality tv is where American television is headed. Everything will soon be reality tv. I would bet sitcoms become reality tv. When will we have great shows like I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Honeymooners and Alf again?

No comments: