Monday, February 28, 2005

2005 Academy Award Winners

I did better than last year by one. I guessed 16 correct winners. I should have gone with Millon Dollar Baby for best picture, but Scorcese's lack of winning four previous times blinded my judgement. The better film won which makes me happy.
I missed some of my complete guesses like Short Film - Live Action and Documentary Short Subject, however I got their counterparts right. I also missed both music categories, which is bollocks. Any song that gets more radio play should be the clear winner. Passion of the Christ had a much more haunting and memorable score than any of the other nominees.
Passion of the Christ was the political scapegoat this year. It should have won in two categories, but missed taking an award for all of its options. The score was one of those obtainable categories and the other was makeup. The job makeup artists did to Jesus in that film was amazing. I am upset at the academy for not recognizing Passion of the Christ as the clear winner in either of those two categories. I will admit that the movie isn't a best picture, but it has a powerful story that is going to be extremely effective for the Christian Coalition in the future.
I was quite pleased with Chris Rock as host. He didn't cross any lines. He made fun of every type of celebrity, whether it be black, white, fat or thin. My two favorite jokes he made was about Michael Moore wanting to do the movie Supersize Me and the one about the check-cashing place. I hope to see Rock back as host in the future. Of the hosts I've seen, Billy Crystal, Steve Martin, and Chris Rock are some of the best. However, I've only been watching for the past few years. Whoopi and Letterman sucked as hosts.
Do view all the winners of the 2005 Academy Awards you can go to http://www.oscar.com.

No comments: