Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Sin City Is The Place For Me

I had a lot of fun in Las Vegas this past weekend. Had I only played poker I would be up for the trip, however, I am a gambling fiend and can't resist other games when around them for more than a few hours... or minutes. James did very well at poker. Left with about $350 and came back with more than $1,000.
I went three for four on poker wins. The one session I did lose I still played well but I lost it when a guy (who was killing time before he went to bed and had collected about $600-700 off a $200 buy-in) caught a straight on the river after I had bet pretty hard on every street. As I said, still played well during the session until that point, and then I went nuts and lost the rest of my remaining buy-in. I did make a good lay down with bottom two pair before I lost it though. That made me feel good when he flipped over top two pair on the turn to show I made a good lay down, but it still stung.
The last game I played in was at the hotel we were staying at (Monte Carlo) and I tried to push a guy off a hand pre-flop, but who knew 9-2 suited was such a favorite among Las Vegas poker players. He re-raised it to $30 after I made it $10 to go. I moved all in for about $140. That put him all in, but only by about $25, and he called pretty quick. I only had A-10 offsuit, but it was good on a board of Q-5-2-Q-5. I got lucky there when he caught the two on the flop, but in my defense I made the right play. There are few people who would call all of their money on 9-2 suited.
The poker play in Vegas is soooooooooo much better than WinStar or Shreveport. It is older guys and girls who like to play every street without moving everything they have in pre-flop or on the flop. Caeser's Palace has the nicest card room and the best game I have I ever played in. It was small pot poker the entire time. Greatness.
We saw Phil Gordon at the Venetian poker room, along with Jim Anderson, of the Weston group. Overall the trip was great. Had a very good time and only lost about $170 for the trip after gambling, food and other expenses. Had I not played any other game than poker I would have been up for the trip.
One other exciting thing was that I turned $10 in video blackjack into $110, netting myself a $100 profit (which made up for the $98 I lost at craps 10 minutes before that). I did the same thing the next day with $4, turning it into $104, but that was not for $100 in profits. I only got $4 in profits since I bought in with $100. Still, pretty impressive. I am thinking about giving up poker and turning into a professional video blackjack player.

No comments: