Saturday, October 07, 2006

Where Are We Going, And Why Are We In This Handbasket?

Somehow, and I haven't quite figured out how this happened yet, we have a poker champion who never won a poker game.
Linda is the latest TOC Champion, adding her name to the plaque along with Chad Boase, Josh Bishop and myself. She was able to scrounge up three second-place finishes and never did worse than seventh or eighth place, which is impressive but not so impressive she deserves a championship.
Her style of play, which is to fold almost everything pre-flop and the few hands she does play to a flop fold to any aggression, has obtained the highest honor our group can bestow upon someone without ever proving she could play the game.
Obviously I am bitter about this. I was in second place going into the night and played my usual game, which involves calling, raising and folding certain hands (something Linda wouldn't know how to do), and actually was playing really well. I made only one or two mistakes all night and that was because I was trying to knock Linda out to give me a better chance.
The hand that knocked me out was against Mike when he moved all in after my flop bet of almost half my stack and I called with a higher pocket pair than his. Mike could have had the decency to hit one of his nines to make a full house, but instead he went for the dreaded runner-runner flush to send me out sulking. I'm not mad at Mike at all. He made a play that he thought was best and he did so because he was tired of me pushing him off hands when he had the better holding. He had done this same move earlier with the best hand and I laid it down. This time I didn't and I got unlucky.
Despite my anger about not being the champion and Linda actually being the winner, without being the winner, I still don't think I should have taken home the championship. Honestly I think Slope played better than anyone during this TOC. He had a moment of relapse into old Slope during one of the games, but otherwise he was a strong contender. He won two games and had several respectable finishes. Also, his play was very decent for most of the weeks. I saw a major change in the way he played and it was for the better.
Well, something is going to have to give if we can have a system where a person wins the entire event without ever winning an individual game. I don't know what that change is going to be, but it will need to be significant in order to clear the blemish that will always be known as TOC IV.

No comments: