Friday, June 19, 2015

James Bond U.S. Poster Rankings: No. 22

We've seen an example of a boring poster from the James Bond film series (Licence to Kill) and one that is too busy to be of high-quality work (The Spy Who Loved Me).  The next entry in the series does a good job of mixing action, sex appeal, and characters in the artwork, but it doesn't stand out as belonging to the 007 movie franchise like some of the other posters we will see in this series.


22. The World is not Enough
Against a white background is the dominant image of Pierce Brosnan as our hero, holding his gun ready for action, and directly below him are the main Bond girls in some sensuous poses.  Surrounding them is a muted headshot of villain Renard in the top left corner and some of the stunt work that will be seen in the movie.

There is nothing particularly bad about this one-sheet poster, but like I said before, it just doesn't really do much in the way of getting the viewer amped to see the film.  The poster from the United Kingdom suffers from what the U.S. poster for The Spy Who Loved Me did, which is it has too much going on.


I think of all the posters I have found, I like the U.S. one-sheet theatrical the most, which is the first image above.  But I do like the teaser as well.


I happen to own this poster, but it is sitting in my closet with other posters that don't get displayed due to the hierarchy of framed artwork I have going on in my living room.  The simplicity of the poster above is what I like about it.  I do wish instead of the girl's image being made up of fire and Bond being a silhouette, they would have taken the theme from the movie and photographed the female's body in oil like in the opening credits.  The female's silhouette would have looked similar to this:


Had the teaser poster been made up of Bond's image and the background being the fire and the female looked something like above, that would have been quite a stark image and could have built a little more buzz.  However, the movie did make $126 million in the United States, making it the fifth highest grossing production in the series (not adjusted for inflation; 11th when adjusted), so I guess they did something okay.

No comments: