Monday, June 08, 2015

What's In A Name

The paperwork has been signed, the car loan has been established, and Moby D has been turned over for auction.  I am officially the owner of a new Volkswagen Jetta.
 

When I first drove the Jetta, it felt much smaller than my Camry and I wasn't sure I would get used to the tight quarters.  However, after running a few errands this weekend and making my daily commute to work this morning, I don't feel quite as boxed in as I initially did.  The sense of constraint has waned considerably and I suspect that after a week it will have completely subsided.
 
I'm not quite sure what nickname to give the new car.  Since it is a navy blue shade I considered coming up with a name that involved blue somehow.  I also would like it to originate from a literary character, since my previous vehicle, Moby D, was named after the white whale in Herman Melville's novel.  The first choice was after the blue ox from the Paul Bunyan folklore, but its name is Babe and that is what I call Joanna most of the time.  It would be confusing, and odd, to have my wife and my car nicknamed the same thing.  There are a ton of blue characters from comic books that I could choose from, but I don't really want to select my car's name from something published by Marvel or DC.
 
After Babe the blue ox, I thought of trying to come up with something from George Orwell's Animal Farm, as it is my favorite book.  Yet, the only characters I would want to name something after from that story would be Boxer or Snowball, which neither of those really fit my new car.
 
I've got a nickname in mind from a recent movie I saw.  I think it is suitable for both my car and as a representation of what I enjoy as a hobby, but I want to see how it fits the vehicle before unveiling it to the world.  The potential nickname also fits in with the setting of the movie as the leather seats make it blistering hot on a sunny day.
 
I'm going to give it a week or so and I will then make my final decision of what the Jetta will be named.

No comments: