Monday, July 11, 2005

Another Clue

My good friends know I am a cold-hearted bastard who rarely feels sadness, pity or shame for anything or anyone. Few times in my life have I cared for something openly (i.e. cry).
Today I came across one more reason that proves I am disturbed. I wrote a story about a guy who got in a wreck on his motorcycle by running into a dog that ran into the street. The helmetless man ran his Harley into the dog and flew off the bike, hitting the curb.
For the title of the story I wrote "Hog hits dog." Is that wrong? Should I have not done that? I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to plead ignorance on this one.
Well, I know there is no way it will pass Sandy's desk without being changed, but I'm okay with that. I thought it was funny until I was reading some tips from my University of Texas Internet class. It told me ,"A cheap laugh obtained by publishing something in poor taste may be expensive in the long run. Avoid harming your reputation in this way." CRAP.

3 comments:

Micah said...

Guess if there was a lesson on that, you would have failed? Sometimes, as journalists, we have to make light of situations, I think, to sort of separate us from it. Keeps us from getting cynical and bitter. Well, more than we already are. :-)

5 days until Winstar....

Micah said...

Uh oh. Chad's jealous. :-)

Matt said...

Micah and Amy are going to a concert at WinStar. They asked James and me if we wanted to go. We are going to gamble while they enjoy their concert.
Chad, would you like to join the road trip?