Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Speaking Out About "Speak Out!"

This is my column for tomorrow.
I didn't have a column last week because my treatment to Wal-Mart was not well received by Sandy. Although, I did find out today that she is saving it in case I get kicked out again. Then I will finally have my revenge on the corruption that is known to be the Wal-Mart.

You may have heard me use this introduction on you before. “Excuse me. My name is Matt Cook and I work for the Ennis Daily News. I have been doing a public opinion piece lately and was wondering if you would answer a question I have and let me put your picture with your answer in the paper.”
Our new “Speak Out!’ feature has quickly become one of the most popular things we’ve ever done here. Tell the truth, haven’t you started looking for it every day when you get your paper? You aren’t alone. We have gotten tons of calls and comments too numerous to count about how much readers love it. They absolutely love reading what their fellow citizens have to say and many have told us it is the very first thing they look for in the paper every day.
It’s certainly popular, but it is a really, really tough assignment.
After my standard introduction, the top two responses I get in return are, “Depends on the question” and “You can have my opinion, but not my picture.”
One of the hardest parts of my job is finding enough candidates to fill the “Speak Out!” space in the newspaper. When I am given a topic, I to drive to my favorite – and most successful - sites and begin the search for courageous volunteers who aren’t afraid to share their opinions with others. Wal-Mart and our local parks seem to be favorite hangouts for confident, really brave people who have lots to share, and don’t mind having their picture taken.
Parks are a good place to go because it is very informal and casual. Most people are playing with their children and don’t mind talking to me about the subject at hand. In fact, it is rare that I get turned down at a park. The only times I really am rejected is when I pose a question about Ennis schools and the person I am asking turns out to be a teacher.
Wal-Mart is a different story. As it happens, some people just don’t like being bothered while they are grocery shopping.
I have found that women are very helpful and graciously offer their opinions. Unfortunately there is a catch. They almost never want me to take their picture.
Sometimes I can talk them into the picture, but most times they just won’t have any part of it. Even when their kids are begging them to do it, the mom still won’t budge.
Men are even harder. Guys just don’t like being bothered, whether it is a reporter trying to get a feel for public opinion or a phone call during dinner to change phone companies.
I understand completely with the guys. I am one.
I don’t want to be annoyed either, but if you would just give me a chance, I promise I am a nice guy and only want to take up two minutes of your time.
My questions have ranged from topics including Michael Jackson to the war in Iraq, from dream vacations to dream jobs. Most of the questions are serious, but every once in a while an adult will be lucky enough to get to answer an easy question.
You might have noticed that we have given our local kids an opportunity to answer some “Speak Out!” questions. We tailored our questions for their age group and let me tell you, children are always very eager to be in the newspaper. Children see it as a blessing to be in a newspaper. They love to be taken seriously enough to be included in a format so adult and so widely read. Children don’t care what they look like or how delicate is the question. They always come up with an answer and then they are more than willing to pose for the camera. They want people to know who they are and what they have to say.
You have to admire their courage.
Through the years, the local community newspaper has been the place residents learn about each other and what is going on in their lives every day. It is appropriate that we offer a regular format for those who live here to be able to express their opinion on topics of interest. It is important for our friends and neighbors to know what we think on issues that relate to us all. Sharing your opinion helps others know and understand who we are as a collective community.
If you see me in Wal-Mart or somewhere else around town, find out if I have a question for you. I most likely will. Your participation helps bring us all a little closer together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please sir, please love me. Oh why won't you people love me? Did I mention your picture WON'T be on the Internet! (I can't guarantee that)