Monday, December 11, 2006

My Oklahoma Tournament Results

I doubt anyone reading this who cares about my results in the $30,000 Bounty Tournament that took place this past weekend in Oklahoma doesn't yet know what happened, but I will inform you anyway.
There were a total of 77 participants and the play was somewhat decent. A lot of players knew each other and seemed to have played together before. Besides James I didn't really recognize anybody. There was one player who I recognized his screen name from the Weston Poker forum.
The top 12 spots were paid with first place taking home $6,000. Ninth through twelfth place received $700 each. With 13 players left I was my table's chip leader and probably second in chips overall. My situation in the tournament was looking good and James was already making phone calls.
Well, no-limit can be a brutal game, as no more than 10 minutes went by and I went from chip leader to out in thirteenth place. That is right. Out on the bubble.
The hand that crippled me was when I flopped a set of sevens and a guy rivered a flush on me. It was a brutal beat that left me with $1,900 while the blinds were $800-1,600 with a $100 ante. I was gone two hands later with nothing to show for my day except memories of playing aces four times and winning with them every single time.
It was a good tournament that I will play in again if given the opportunity. Things got pretty hectic for about two rounds or so when nobody was getting knocked out and the blinds were starting to rise. If you had told me I was going to go out on the bubble I would have told you to bite your tongue, but come to find out that is how it happened.
Your's truly,
Matt "Bubble Boy" Cook

No comments: