Friday, October 22, 2004

A Restless Night

I didn't sleep very well last night. I woke up around 3:00 a.m. and couldn't go back to bed. I then found myself waking up at 5:22 a.m. I didn't even know I had fallen asleep. It was that kind of night. Then I woke up again about 6:00 a.m. and had to decide whether to go back to bed for twenty minutes before I had to get up to go to work (ha, it's still funny to use that word) and risk oversleeping or get up and start getting ready. I decided to gamble and wouldn't you know it, the house won. I slept in until 7:08 a.m. I had to rush and get ready to be at the school I was subbing at by 7:30. Luckily I'm a boy and can do that kind of thing.
I have had a headache all day and the kindergarteners aren't helping it. They aren't being bad, they just are disruptive. I would never be a kindergarten teacher. I don't think I would like teaching any elementary grade. They just aren't learning stuff I would be interested in teaching. I want to teach English or history. Maybe even geography and teach about different cultures from around the world. That would be nice.
I watched a movie yesterday that inspired me a little more to want to teach. The name of the movie is Blackboard Jungle. It is an earlier version of Dangerous Minds. I liked the movie a lot. It was made in 1955 and starred a young Sidney Poitier. It was also the first movie to use rock and roll in it. It was a great film that inspired me to want to be a mentor to young adults.
However, being published recently also has stirred me to write again. This blog has always been an outlet for me but it sometimes seems I am writing about nothing. I'll admit, poker stories aren't really great literature. Yet some of the things I have written have been entertaining and thought provoking. Maybe not. Well, hopefully my kids won't be too rambunctious when they get back. I could use a small break from them.

No comments: