Thursday, March 10, 2005

My Beef With Pop Culture

Yesterday I was engaged in two different conversations about pop culture (t.v., movies and celebrities). The first discussion was with my cousin Mark. We talked about everything from what a cult classic is to what made Seinfeld so great. We had a good time with it and hit a lot of points. The examples of cult classic movies were Rocky Horror Picture Show, the epitome of cult, and Tremors.
The second conversation, encompassing shows like American Idol, The O.C. and the newly broadcast Blind Justice, was with Jaclyn and Brandy. This debate didn't go quite so well.
Something you need to understand about me is I hate pop culture. I can't stand it. People like the Simpson sisters, Paris Hilton, Ryan Seacrest and Ashton Kutcher drive me insane. They are incompetent, useless drones of society. If they dropped off the face of the earth it wouldn't bother me one bit.
Now back on topic. While talking about terrible shows on television they asked what makes pop culture so terrible. I didn't have a very good answer then, so here is a better answer. Jaclyn and Brandy, I hate pop culture because it is directed to the lowest common denominator of society.
These television shows aren't written for the better intelligence of mankind. I'm not saying Seinfeld or The Sopranos is advancing us further into a better future, but I am trying to explain that Newlyweds, The Simple Life, The Real World and most reality television is mind numbing. Do we really get anything out of these shows except something to talk about around the water cooler the next day?
"Did you see how stupid Paris was on her show last night? What's the name of it again?"I can't stand it. To answer your question Jaclyn, yes, I like music from Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra because it has survived the test of time. I also like it because it doesn't address killing a cop, banging a mom or anything of that sorts. Songs from today may last, but does it all fulfill the other requirement of my standards? U2 will. So will Norah Jones. Hmmmm, two good artists. Green Day...American idiots.
Well, to bring this thing to a close. I don't like pop culture because it appeals to the lowest common denominator. Pop culture has brought about such foolhardy items like the pet rock, disco and The New Kids on the Block. However, it has also produced the lava lamp, rock and roll and The Beatles. So I guess it can't be all bad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify...
You are not saying that the people that do enjoy pop culture such as shows like the OC, AI, The Simple Life, etc are the lowest of society...You are saying they do not inable us to become more intelligent or successful and that it itself is why it is so awful.

Anonymous said...

OH, but one of your favorite shows, The Shield, is about a dirty cop? And cops get killed on that show frequently? It might not be music, but it's just as graphic...if NOT more!

You make NO sense Matt!!!!!!!!!

And don't you like the Simpsons?

Yeah...

You know who...

Matt said...

I like The Simpons (t.v. show), not the Simpsons (Jessica and Ashlee). The Shield is great entertainment, not a wholesome show. It's also on FX, a cable network. This allows for parents to decide if they will let their kids watch something so graphic, but based on truth (because don't be so naive to think that there aren't cops out there like Mackey). Yet, any kid can go in a record shop and get an Eminem cd. Don't think the parental guidance warning label on the front cover stops kids from listening to it.