Thursday, April 07, 2005

Poker Entry No. 8

April 2, 2005
Players: 23
Entry Fee: $25
Rebuys: N/A
Place: 4th
Winnings: $0

This story and lesson could be the worst I have ever had to put myself through. It is the most amazing call on my part, and I don't mean amazing in a good way.
The tournament was at Steed's. The blinds went slow enough and the stack was large enough to play with. It was set up quite well and I will definitely be returning for another game if it is kept the same way. My mistake was against Brian Simmons early in the tournament.
I was second in chips and had a good table image. This image was helped by Josh Bishop and Brian Simmons who have played with me before. They know I am a solid player who plays good cards or has some reason to be in the pot. The hand in question was as follows:
I was in a middle position with A-K offsuit. I knew someone was going to raise behind me (it was that kind of table) so I decided to call and re-raise when it came around again. Two more behind me called and then Brian raised from the small blind. He raised $200, with blinds being $20-40. A raise that made me think I could beat him if I hit my hand. The two in between Brian and me folded and I re-raised another $800. I was going for a large re-raise to either win the hand right there or create a large enough pot to give me pot odds for draws. The two behind me folded and Brian called after thinking for a few seconds.
The flop came 5-4-5 rainbow. Brian came out betting $500. I raised without hesitation. I made it $2,000 to go. He had to think about it for a few seconds but eventually called. The turn was a 6. There were two suited cards, but I wasn't worried about that at all. Brian checked quickly and I checked.
That was my first mistake in this hand. Brian had about $2,600 left and I had about $2,850. I should have gone all in on the turn. I knew he wasn't too proud of his hand. If I had gone all in on the turn I am almost positive he would have folded.
The river came with a Queen. Brian thought for a few seconds and then bet $1,000. I thought for about fifteen seconds going over the hand in my head. I asked how much he had left and he said $1,600. Would he go all in with his single pair hand. He didn't have a five, six or Queen. I couldn't see him having a four, even with the possible A-4 suited. Honestly I put him on pocket 3's. I'm not sure why that hand popped out in my mind.
I told myself either fold or go all in. Then my mind left me. It literally exited my head, went to the kitchen and grabbed a sandwich. That is the only explanation I can come up with because I didn't fold or raise. I called! Why did I call? I only have a pair of fives with A-K-Q kicker. He has to have that beat.
Come to find out he did. He flipped over pocket 2's and said, "You probably have me." I sadly had to reply, "No... no I don't." What in the name of all that is good and pure was I thinking?
Lesson: When holding Ace high, don't call. It is the worst possible move you can make.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have played at Steed's house before. It isn't fun, there are to many bad players over there and the host is an asshole!!!

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you had fun. My wife is going out of town the weekend of April 22. Hopefully if things go well on the babysitter front we will be having another tournament Saturday the 23rd. The structure will be the same except I will put another level (30-60) between the the 20-40 and the 50-100 jump. I would also like to raise the enrty fee a little bit.

Matt said...

Two good ideas Mike. The jump from 20-40 to 50-100 wasn't drastic, but could be lessened a bit. I also like the idea of having a tournament with a larger buy in. It then gets people who are serious about making money in the game, not just your casual gambler who doesn't really care one way or the other.

Anonymous said...

Two things about the hand from my perspective:

1) I agree with you that checking on the turn was incorrect.

2) Do you think that raising a smaller amount on the flop would have accomplished the same thing? It would have left both of you with more money and and a big-bet on the river (or turn) may have been enough to push him out. whereas as rerasing him all-in on the river when he only had 1600 left might not have worked, as he might have been committed at that point. I don't know the exact money situation, but something to think about.