Monday, April 11, 2005

When Stepping Stones Step Back

Last night James and I decided to take our poker playing abilities to another level. We were going to drive to Shreveport, sit down at a Texas Hold'em table and play $10-20. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but let me assure you it is. It's the next step to becoming a poker great.
Both James and I were not nervous, more anxious than anything. We understood that we had to play at a higher limit game to become a better player. However, I didn't know it was going to be a $680 lesson. I had the worst run of cards I have ever seen in my life.
You are probably thinking, "Oh, he is just exaggerating. It was probably bad play on his part." No, it was bad luck. I played good hands and only won about five hands total. Two of those were split pots and none of them were during my second session. I was even beat when holding the fourth best hand. Only pocket sixes, aces or jacks beat me. Oh wait, what do you know. He's got the jacks.
I will be returning to the $10-20 tables because I will not let this deter me. The only thing that deters me is that I have to ask my mom for some money now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks bro, but you don't.


Don't let the bastards grind you down. You are definetly better than that! I sure that next time you post about your venture into the middle limits, it won't be the same story.

Matt said...

Thanks man. James and I both decided the game is not much more different than $4-8. A few lessons still need to be learned, but on the whole you just need the money to play in it and feel comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps a few lessons from the TOC CHAMP would help? Just a thought.
I do have vast experience in overcoming slumps to achieve victory.
I can teach you how in just 12 easy steps.

Anonymous said...

Mike - were you referencing the U2 song "Acrobat" in your comment? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

or was it the ska band or the famed latin proverb?

Anonymous said...

James,

I was referring to the latin phrase. Nice catch!