Monday, June 06, 2005

It's Heeeeeeeeeeeere

Training is over and now is when I begin performing my job alone. I will still get tons of help from Sandy and go to meetings around town with Micah, however I have had four realizations today that show I am settling into my job.
The first was I walked into the front office this morning and thought I was in the wrong building. The front area was completely remodeled over the weekend and it looks very different. It's newer and sleeker. What made me realize I am settling into my job is that if the job still was new and I felt I didn't belong, the front office would probably not have stood out to me. I would have likely just walked through and not given it any notice at all. Yet I did notice. This makes me think I belong here now and I am one of the guys at the office.
Secondly, I have had three new job assignments given to me today that will be a routine thing. The first involved a meeting with Chief Dale Holt of the Ennis Police Department. Sandy took me over to EPD and we took a tour with Lt. Ron Roark. He showed me the detectives' offices, the jail cells in the basement and where I would be picking up the reports from the previous night. I was then informed by Holt of the peace officer/news reporter confidentiality clause that is basically an understanding that I will not report anything that is off the record or libelous to the police department without first conversing with him. I will be reporting to Lt. Roark every morning at 9 a.m. to discuss any questions I have about a case in progress.
My second assignment given to me today was a "Man on the Street" story, which are questions I have to ask random people about around town. Today's question was about Michael Jackson. It took me a while to find some volunteers for such a volatile subject. I was also given questions for the next several days, but I will complete those on a day-to-day basis.
The final assignment discussed during my meeting with Sandy this morning was my column. I will have a featured column every Wednesday starting next week. This is kind of scary. I blog a column all the time, but it is only read by my friends and the occasional passer-by. You can tell when I am being sarcastic. I am afraid I will be too abrasive for Ennis. Also, what if I don't have anything to talk about. Luckily, for a little while I can pull old blog entries and use those. That will work for a while.
The third item of recognizing my settlement in the office was I now listen to the scanner when it goes off. Before today I would sometimes block the noise out and not pay attention. Today I picked up on a report of a female being tackled and thrown into a truck as it pulled away. Nothing came of the report, because I'm not an ambulance chaser, but it was a good sign that I heard the scanner when it went off.
The final realization was my computer and desk are starting to look like me. I replaced the old mouse pad today with a special one I got for Christmas from my mom. The old one was a plain, maroon-colored pad with no personality. Now it is a picture of the Rat Pack around a pool table. My desktop also has a picture that is very me. It is a poster of the 1933 production of King Kong. I like it and it is much better than the plain blue background I did have. Now I stare into Kong's eyes as he is battling planes atop the Empire State Building, which I will be at in just over a week's time.
All of these things combines made me see how much I am starting to feel at home in the office. However, I should always feel at home at the office, because it is in the same building as my home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, it you are afraid of being too abrasive in your column, send it to me with a comment section before it goes to print. I will add all sorts of abrasive shit and you won't get in trouble. You can blame me.

Mike Steed

Matt said...

Thanks man. You are always thinking of others.

Anonymous said...

I highly feel that your personal section should introduce movie reviews of sort, so you can chase your dream of being a movie critic. Use this as a stepping stool.