Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Session 12

I have almost negated an entire month’s profits in four consecutive and disappointing losses. Tuesday night’s game was another $400 loss and a huge blow to my self-esteem. I felt demoralized and dejected after losing two buy-ins in about two hours.
What made this loss the worst of the last four was I actually played very well. It was probably the best I have played in several games.
My first big hit was when I turned trips and had called a bet on the flop and led out on the turn from the button. While facing two opponents on the river and holding a three kicker I elected to check, which was a good decision because I lost the hand to K-10.
Another large loss was when my K-9 lost against two guys who were all-in with K-Q and A-7. The K-Q had me beat the whole way when we both paired a king on the flop and the A-7 player, who was a beginner and had no clue as to what was going on, sucked out on the turn with a third seven. I should have checked the turn and let them show their strength on the river, which would have saved me $50, but both players checked to me on the flop and turn. This hand was probably my only true mistake in the night.
I lost my first buy-in when holding A-K and elected to go all in pre-flop after the under-the-gun player raised it to $15 (at a $1-2 game). He received two callers and I felt the pot was big enough that I could try to take it down then and even if I was called I might not be in too bad of shape. I pushed my $64 in the middle and was then re-raised by James, who was holding pocket kings. This got everyone else out, one of whom was holding Q-Q. We both hit a king on the flop and I was out.
My second bust out was with A-J suited. I called a $20 pre-flop raise, along with the beginner, from an early bettor. The flop brought three low cards and two spades. The raiser checked and I felt it was a good opportunity for me to try and win the pot. I moved all in for $94 (into a $60 pot). The button folded and the original raiser called. He had K-K and I didn’t improve.
This loss knocks me down to a $1,422 bankroll. My February is going very poorly and I really need a win soon, otherwise I may take the Mike Steed approach to the game.

No comments: