Sunday, February 25, 2007

Session 16

Another very solid night for me gave my February a much happier ending than it did a beginning.
I played for five hours and was sitting pretty at approximately $450 when I lost it all on one single hand against an Asian kid who was getting lucky on key hands and then bluffing off a ton of chips so that his swings were all over the place. In the five hours I was with him at the table I saw him go from $70 to $900 in about four or five different up and down motions. When I left he had only about $300 left.
The hand that should have put me on eternal tilt was a set over set hand. I had pocket sevens and he had pocket nines. We both hit on the flop and bet all of our money by the turn. I couldn't river quads and was re-buying for $200.
The very first hand of my re-buy I doubled up. I had pocket fours in middle position and it was a straddled pot. I limped in and when it got back to the straddler he made it $25 to go. A player before me called and I decided to play a little more aggressive with my meek fours. I re-raised it to $100. Keep in mind I only have $200 total at the beginning of the hand. Everybody folded around to the straddler. He contemplated the play and decided to call. The guy between us folded. There was now approximately $235 in the pot.
The flop was K-8-5 rainbow. The straddler checked to me and I pushed my remaining $100 in. He called and I told him if he could call he most likely could beat me. He had A-9 offsuit and I won the pot when he didn't improve. Four hands later I doubled up again.
I had A-2 in the big blind. Six players called the two dollars and we saw a flop. The flop was A-Q-2 giving me two pair. Since nobody raised I figured to have the best hand right now and decided to let somebody else bet for me. I checked after the small blind checked, but everybody else checked. That stunk.
Then the turn came with a beautiful two, giving me a full house. I again decided to check and let somebody have something to bet with, but again it checked around. Stinks again.
The river was a three putting out on the board A-Q-2-2-3. I figured if anybody had anything then I would get called, otherwise I wasn't going to make any money anyway. So I led out with a $15 into a $14 pot. The Asian kid who felted me earlier raised it to $40. The player after him called for all of his chips, which amounted to $26. It folded around to me and I thought for about ten seconds and made it $115. The Asian kid almost immediately re-raised all in. Usually when I'm holding a full house and it has been checked to the river I am not reluctant to think I have the best hand, but since he had raised me and then re-raised when I re-raised him it made me a little nervous. I eventually told him I had to have the best hand and I called. He showed 4-5 for a straight and I took down the pot.
After this hand I pretty much just chipped my way up to the $1,000 mark and then some. A hand that helped me accumulate more chips was when I was in a blind and had an open-ended straight draw that a player gave me the odds to draw to, with the help of a girl who was calling his bet. I hit it on the river and was paid off. That pot netted me an additional $175 or so.
I left the table with $1,266 for a $866 profit. That puts me at $2,565 profit for the year. Pretty good for two months of work.

No comments: