Friday, December 10, 2004

A Moment Of Bliss

Last night I had a dealing job in downtown Dallas. It was in the Empire Room which is on the 48th floor of one of the few skyscrapers in downtown. I was to deal Texas Hold'em. I arrived about 15 minutes early and decided to catch a glimpse of the view from the top of the city. It was amazing.
I walked into the Sapphire Room with the lights dimmed and a Christmas tree lit in the corner. Two walls were made of glass with the other walls having two red spotlights on the floor shooting straight up. I entered to find only one other person in the room and after a short exchange of hellos and heys I noticed Frank Sinatra playing over the speaker. It was his classic Luck Be A Lady. With the music playing, dressed in a tux shirt and dress pants and the sun beginning to set, I couldn't help but smile at the beauty of it all.
Although Dallas isn't known for a beautiful downtown, when all the elements come together like it did last night it can be a lovely thing. Standing on the 48th floor, listening to one of my favorite singers and watching the lights of Dallas begin to flicker on, I was emotionally moved and had one of the greatest moments of bliss I have ever felt before.

No comments: