Friday, December 17, 2004

A Trip Down Memory Lane

The last three days I have been in Nacogdoches. My friend Jesse called and told me the President's Christmas Reception was on Thursday night. When I was in college I attended the reception every year. I even had to get off work to go, which I worked for the company that catered the party. That was always an interesting challenge. Chad and I decided to go down and spend a few days in Nac and have some fun.
We arrived Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. and the first thing we did was to go eat C13 at Peking. C13 is the label for General Tsao's Chicken. You may have had General Tsoa's Chicken before, but it is nothing like what Peking can do. It is the best Chinese food in the United States.
After lunch we went and played 36 holes of frisbee golf on the best frisbee golf course in Texas. I know I keep calling everything the best, but it really is. I have played on a few courses throughout the Lone Star State and not a single one compares to the beauty, the break up of simple and difficult holes or the distribution of trees. Some courses have no trees what-so-ever and some courses are surrounded by forests. Pecan Park is the perfect layout for a frisbee golf course. It is the Pebble Beach of frisbee golf (but without the beach). I won $15 on the golf course and then we moved on to poker.
The first night we played limit poker. It was a large game of eight of us. However, when you play 50 cent max bet and you start off with $5, it is hard to make moves to bluff or buy pots. It wasn't a lot of fun the first night. I lost about $10.
Thursday started off with the plan being to play some more frisbee golf and then go shooting pumpkins, books and other paraphernalia. That plan was shot when it rained all night. We went to the back-up plan. After making a bet with Chad during an episode of Saved By The Bell we went to go eat lunch.
Jesse reminded me of a new restaurant in Nacogdoches. It is called Kinfolks. The reason this establishment is special is because it is run by my old boss at catering. Her name is Sheryl. She and I didn't end our working relationship on the best foot. She is the last person who should be owning a business. The food was pretty good. Jesse says it is the best chicken fried steak in the world. Nacogdoches has a lot of hidden treasures. I think she was actually glad to see me. When she saw I was in town, she knew exactly why I had come. I asked if she was planning on attending the gala and she said probably not.
After lunch we went and played pot limit poker. I made some money off of that. The last pot put me up about $15. Then we decided to kill an hour playing spades. Chad and I were on a team. We smoked Jesse and his friend Kurt. We played to 500 and beat them by over 250 points. It was great.
Afterward, Chad, Jesse and I left to change for the President's reception. The shrimp was amazing as usual, the food was good and the decorations were below average. They decorated the Grand Ballroom as an ice castle. It wasn't great. It lacked the effort that had been put into previous parties. While dining on shrimp the size of a baseball, I ran into many old co-workers and other friends. I also ran into someone I was not expecting to see.
I saw my ex-girlfriend. Her name is Stephanie, but we call her Red. I saw her from behind and recognized the hair immediately. I had Jesse go scope the area for me and he called me over to talk to her. Okay, it was safe. We chit chatted for about 30 minutes and one thing led to another. Yada, yada, yada. I ended up at her place and boy am I tired today. Just kidding about the yada, yada, yada. Let me fill in the details.
She asked what we were doing after the reception and we told her we were going to play some pool at an old pool hall we used to go to. She asked if we minded if she went with us for old times sake. I didn't mind. The conversation was going well and there weren't too many ackward silences. Plus, Chad filled in the ackwardness well. We ran home to change, Chad and Jesse had some shots of rum, we picked up Stephanie from her dorm (she is the Hall Director of North) and grabbed some alcohol from Kroger's. The pool hall is BYOB and Chad wanted to get blitzed.
After about two hours of pool she asked if we wanted to go to her room and hang out. I didn't care and Chad and Jesse were too drunk to make any decisions. We went to her dorm and played phase ten until 2 in the morning. It was really nice talking to her and we had a good time.
Chad and I got up around 9:45 today and hit the road. On the way home, we had to deposit some pumpkins throughout East Texas. They exploded along highway 259. It was a great trip and I can't wait until next year for the next one.

No comments: