Saturday, May 14, 2005

Good Night Ennis!

Last night I was assigned the gig of covering the Ennis High School freshman class fundraiser Battle of the Bands. The show itself had its laughs, but I will not take away from James' story. If you would like to know what happened and who should have won, go to his link on the right.
This site will be for what I learned at Battle of the Bands. First lesson, my press pass will get me anywhere I want to be. Forget American Express, I have Ennis Daily News. All I have to do is where the plastic card around my neck and throw out the words "Daily News" and I am allowed full access. I wanted a picture from the stage during a performance, I got it. I wanted an interview with the band, I got it. I wanted cops to break up a mosh pit, I got it. Actually the last one wasn't really what I wanted. It just happened that during the set of The Bronco League a group of misguided youth ran to the front of the auditorium and jumped around like fools. Local law enforcement quickly dispersed the fans. My press pass is the greatest thing ever. I'm going to take it everywhere now. Local restaurants, bars, concerts. I'll get anything I want.
Second lesson learned was I need assistants. I did some of my best journalizing last night because James helped ask the questions and Clint wrote down the answers. As a team, we accomplished what some of the best journalists in the world only attempt. I can easily put them on the pay roll if they don't want more than $5 an hour and a free tab at the local Three Dog Tavern.
My final lesson is something I already knew, but I am going to reiterate it for you. I don't really like high school kids. They are annoying, obnoxious and clueless know-it-alls. What made last night so terrible was 80% of the bands were high school kids who tried so hard to be different. Yet in trying to be different they ended up all being the same. You want to know how to be different in high school. Be a dork. That's the answer. Geeks and dweebs are outcasts in high school because they are different. Tip of the day students: If you want to be different, be a dork.
Last night was a lot of fun and three out of five bands were actually decent. The first two sucked though. The first were laughable bad and the second were bad in the "I want to bang my head against a wall instead of listen to this filth" way. If you would like to know more about the bands, check out James' blog. He will have his story behind the night, a critique of the bands and a Q&A with the winners.

2 comments:

Micah said...

I hope Selkin was one of the "good" three. I know Sidekick Jane was probable the one that made you want to bang your head...etc. Personally, Sidekick Jane makes me want to cut my ears off. Either way, glad you had a good time!

Anonymous said...

Selkin was ok. It is unfortunate that the best band did not win. It appears that "small town politics" played a role in the decision. The White Lotus Rebellion was the hands down winner. I guess not having the homecoming king as the lead singer was their only fault. Oh well, enjoy your time in Ennis Matt. Just keep in mind, if you want to fit in and be somebody in a small town, join the Lions club, the booster club, PTA, and any other local social society or club that you can. And remember to kiss all of the ass that you can. Small town leaders really like that.