Monday, May 16, 2005

My Second Week As A Reporter

I am still a reporter. Not fired yet. Isn't that great? I have been learning a lot and am now a published reporter.
Thursday morning I came into the office and found a picture frame leaning against my computer screen. I walked around to see what it was and to my surprise I saw the front page of that morning's edition framed with some balloon strings attached to the upper corner. How thoughtful are my coworkers? Sandy told me congratulations on having my first cover story published. It was very sweet. The poster is now hanging in my bedroom. I love it.
The front page contained two stories I had written. One was about the Chitale case in Waxahachie and the other was a food drive conducted through the Ennis Post Office. Neither of the pictures used are mine, but the writing is (minus some editorial work from Sandy).
My interview with the newly elected mayor of Alma ran in Friday's edition. It also made the front page, however I have quickly figured out that almost anything written by Micah, Sandy or myself will make the front page unless it is a feature column.
Some pictures I took last week of a student/teacher basketball game and an elementary musical were supposed to run in tomorrow's edition, but the files were locked up, because of a mistake on my part. Instead, the sports story will be run without pictures now.
I should also have my Battle of the Bands fiasco run tomorrow. We will see.
I love my job still. It is exciting and new. I can't wait to learn some more lessons and write more articles about all things Ennis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not to be too cheesy but I am so proud of you. I am so glad you love your job. I don't think any other job that you applied for could have been a better fit. The great things in life are worth waiting for. I realize that with this comment I have opened myself up for criticism so go ahead boys let them fly.

Anonymous said...

Yes Matt, the great things in life are worth waiting for. Unless you make it to the 3rd date...if you wait that long kick her to the curb.

Micah said...

The files locking are not your fault. Something is screwed up on your computer...it happened to Tye's computer last fall. Hopefully we will get Frank to come in and fix it this week so we don't lose any more of your photos.

Anonymous said...

Nice Clint, nice. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anonymous said...

thank you Joanna, I will be here all week.