Wednesday, May 11, 2005

My First Big Case Ended In A Plea Bargain

I have been with the Ennis Daily News for only eight days now, yet I have already attended my first criminal trial. Too bad the defendant, Dr. Ani Chitale (not a doctor any longer), pleaded guilty to two counts of sexual assault and two misdemeanors of sexual misconduct and public lewdness.
He was given 180 days in county jail, minus one credited day, the maximum fines of $10,000, $4,000, $2,000 and court costs, 10 years deferred adjudication community probation and had his medical license taken away. Chitale will also be listed as a sexual offender for the rest of his life, so Clint can look the guy up on the website he checks out for personal reasons.
I got the first big case out of the way. I should be golden for the rest of them. The story was written up by yours truly, but if Sandy doesn't use it I wouldn't blame her. I practically copied the entire press release and old stories for the new one. It had a quote from the victim, but other than that I wouldn't expect anything better than what a high school student could type up the night before his senior thesis is due over Animal Farm. For you seniors out there who were just reminded about that thesis, www.online-literature.com works well.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were totally against websites like that. Or is this part of your F the man campaign?
Joanna

Matt said...

What do you mean? Why am I against websites that give cliff notes?

Anonymous said...

the reason I look up that web site is for the safety of my child you dill. by the way, how have you been.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Now I don't have to buy that Damn Ennis Daily News to find out what's going on in your thriving metropolis. You saved me 50 cents.

Matt said...

I'm doing quite well. I had my first article published today. Actually I had two articles published. They both made the front page. I am trying to get you all a copy.

Anonymous said...

I thought you said once that cliff notes are cheating.

Matt said...

They are cheating. They cheat you of an education. Yet, I also know kids do it and I have even done it before. Besides, I doubt any student is reading my blog. It's mainly my friends and co-workers who read this thing.
Just wait though. I may be starting a column for the paper. When needing a topic I will just go back to an old posting. Oh wait, they were all deleted by Chad. It's a good thing he copy and pasted those things to a safe spot.

james said...

are you really going to have a column? or is this the movie reviews column?

Matt said...

Also, what the chihay is up with charging people to sit at a blackjack table. I agree with your radical ideas Chip.
By the way, I believe it is hatchets, not spears that they throw in the backyard.

Anonymous said...

hmm.. are you sure it's a good idea to tell us all how you snuck in a tape recorder? is that illegal?