Wednesday, November 03, 2004

A Lesson Learned Is A Lesson Earned

Yesterday I substituted for a P.E. coach. I discovered it's a lot more fun to be in P.E. when you are the student than when you are the coach. I had forgotten a gym is one large echo chamber and when 80 kids are screaming and running around, it can get a little loud in there. It was not enjoyable and I have learned to stay away from P.E. classes.
Another lessoned I have learned is kids are liars. They will not necessarily lie but stretch the truth. The only plus about my job yesterday was I got to break up three different fights. With one fight, I restrained a child by pushing his neck. This act of aggresion was then passed along as I choked the child. The fib even grew to say I picked him up by his neck. This kid weighed 300 pounds easily, and it wasn't muscle.
Needless to say, I was not reprimanded for acting the way I did. In fact, the other coaches said I didn't need to worry at all. When they heard the story about me picking the kid up by his neck with one hand, they looked at me and decided to disregard the accusation. Good choice.
The kids were a little funny because the friends of the boy I supposedly picked up started asking what my name was and where I lived. They didn't get much out of me. I'm hard to crack.

No comments: