Monday, November 22, 2004

What's So Extraordinary About The Word Extraordinary

Think about the word "extraordinary." What is so great about it? Is it supposed to be better than ordinary? If I say someone is extraordinary, am I complimenting them? I think not.
Let's break the word down. Extra. Okay, that means more. What about ordinary? Ordinary, according to dictionary.com, means usual or average. Well, wouldn't this mean extraordinary means more average? Extraaverage. You are extraordinary, which essentially means you are more normal than every other person in the world. What a sweet thing to say. When you do extraordinary events, you are not a special person because any average human being could do it.
It is comments like this and others, like "I could care less," that make no sense to me. Next time someone says you did an extraordinary thing, ask if they are trying to be nice, because they really are putting you down.

No comments: