Monday, November 22, 2004

Poker Entry No. 6

November 21, 2004
Players: 42
Entry Fee: $30
Rebuys: N/A
Place: 18
Winnings: $0

In the new found tournament at No Frills Grill, I ran into quite a bad call last night. I was dealt pocket A's. The best hand possible. However, one should not play this hand too slow because I have seen it beaten many times (usually when Clint is holding them). In fact, we held a raffle for anyone who had their pocket A's drawn out on at the tournament we held a few weeks ago. Sadly, aces were holding up that night.
Back to the terrible call. I didn't want to get outdrawn with this hand so I raised it pretty big pre-flop. To be precise, I raised it about four times the big blind. I made it $150 to go. Blinds were $20-40. I had two guys call. I made the decision that no matter what fell on the flop, unless it was a pair of big cards or three to a flush or high straight, I was going to go all in on the flop with another $295.
The flop was Q-6-5 rainbow. It was checked to me. I moved all in like I had told myself I would do. The first guy didn't think too long to call. The second guy folded. I flipped over my Aces and he gave the "ooh, I'm beat" expression. He flips over 8-6 of clubs. Well of course you're beat. That's not a good hand to call a pre-flop raise with. It's also not a good hand to call an all in bet with middle pair and poor kicker. Oh well, I am beating him with a pair of Aces. He needs an 8 or 6. The turn is a 9. This gives him another out. A 7 gives him a straight. So nine outs are going to beat me. What does the river bring but a 6. His three six's beat my pocket rockets.
The worst part was the fact that the guys at the table were saying how bad of a beat it was. Well if the guy wouldn't call with crap we wouldn't have a bad beat. When a hand like that wins, it gives amateurs the idea they are good hands. They think hands that somehow defy the odds and win become excellent hands. Let me inform the public, they aren't good hands. You are a big underdog. Oh well, I got my money in when I had the best hand. That is what a good player does.

No comments: