Monday, January 24, 2005

Could SpongeBob SquarePants' Pants Be Bulged By Other Bobs?

Is the eternal smile on SpongeBob's face and the cheese lines he utters the fault of animators and writers or could he possibly be on the side of the rainbow force? This is what James Dobson is trying to push. He says, as founder of Focus on the Family, a video for the We Are Family Foundation is only trying to promote acceptance and tolerance of homosexuality.
The video is a remake of "We Are Family" using SpongeBob, Barney, Big Bird, Winnie the Pooh, Bob the Builder, the Rugrats and other cartoon characters. Dobson was quoted on Thursday as saying, "Their inclusion of the reference to 'sexual identity' within their 'tolerance pledge' is not only unnecessary, but it crosses a moral line."
I haven't seen the video and have only heard about this story from such sources as Corby "The Snake" Davidson and CNN so I cannot defend or deny the video's implications. However, I can say this sounds utterly ridiculous. It is not the first time children's television has come under the critical spotlight of the Christian coalition. In 1999, Jerry Falwell described Tinky Winky, the purse-toting purple Teletubbie, as a gay role model.
As with Teletubbies, the video and characters are targeted toward small children. The creators of SpongeBob have never considered him gay. His creator, Stephen Hillenburg, said though SpongeBob was an oddball, he thought of all the characters in the show as asexual.
Kids aren't thinking about whether SpongeBob is gay or not. They just want to watch him and his underwater friends get into oceanic hijinks. The accusation is absurd. Why can't we, and I use "we" as a reference to Christians all over the nation, stop worrying about telling people what to worry about and how to judge and try reaching out to the lost who are going to end up in hell.
Now, you may come back with the comment, "Matt, gay people will be in hell." You know what, they might be. Yet, can you tell me that their sin is greater than yours of casting the first, second or last stone. They are sinning, yes. They will pay for their sin, yes. Yet, so will you.
You will be judged for the exact same thing a gay man will be. Did you accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior? If so, great. If not, you have problems bigger than is SpongeBob banging spongettes or not.
Ghandi once said, "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." This is so true. Christians, like James Dobson, give Christ a bad name. Dobson has done some good. He has led many to Christianity, however when he leads an insurgency such as whether a much loved cartoon character is gay or not it gives the religion as a whole a bad wrap. We are perceived as loathsome bigots.
Mr. Dobson, I ask you politely to stop trying to get your group in the news and leave cartoons to the toddlers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow I am impressed! Spongettes? I laughed out loud twice! Good Blog, probably my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Matt I want to say how super it is you are bringing this to light. The remake of We are Family with all gay characters was my idea. It’s a great way for the gay cartoon actors to finally come out of the closet. Oh look! It's a big gaggle of gooses. Hi fellahs!

How would I know all this you ask, well you need to watch my E! True Hollywood Story coming up in March but lets just say Bob the Builder doesn’t do all his hammering at work, and everyone should have a tail as long as Barney’s, and those aren’t crustacean's in SpongeBob’s pants, he’s just happy to see you, and let's just say Winnie’s last name is Pooh for a reason. And Matt I hate to admit it but Jerry Falwell was right, Tinky Winky the Teletubbie is as gay as the day is long. The hardest part about this remake is I wasn’t invited to perform. I'm Big Gay Al I was kicked out of the scouts.
But don’t worry about me.....I’m super, thanks for asking.

Anonymous said...

Gay people, well, gay people are EVIL. Evil right down to their cold black hearts which pump not blood like yours or mine, but rather--a thick, vomitous oil that oozes through their rotten veins and clots in their pea-sized brains; which becomes the cause of their Nazi-esque patterns of violent behavior. Do you understand?

Anonymous said...

You're gay though, Mr. Garrison.

Anonymous said...

What, I'm not gay. I act this way to get chicks, dumbass.