Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sorry For The Wait

I have been in Houston for the past few days. This is why I haven't posted anything in a week. I went with Joanna, James, Marcus and Marissa to Conroe, Texas for Korie's, my old roommate, surprise birthday. We spent Friday night through Sunday and had a good time.
Saturday we went to the mall and I did some rock climbing in the mall. It was fun. It reminded me of the old days in Nacogdoches. Korie, Marcus and I would go to the gym and do some rock climbing on Wednesdays. Then we went bowling. James and I put ten cents a point on each game. I won $1.90 off him in five games. It was a tight competition. Our best game was when he scored 164 and I squeaked by with 168. We pushed each other to play better. If I made a spare, James would bowl a strike and then I would have to answer back with a strike of my own.
I bought some new shoes for $10 at an outlet mall. They are a brand no one knew was in existence but I don't care. They are comfortable, normal looking and cheap. Then we ate at the Texas Roadhouse. I love their baked sweet potato with the loaded marshmallows and caramel. Mmmmmmm...sweet potatoes.
Then on Sunday we ate lunch at The Black Labrador. It is an English pub and reminded me of the Winchester in Shaun of the Dead. I had something like the English version of French toast. It was pretty good. Then we went to the museum district and saw two museums. The first was ancient artifacts and paintings from the Renaissance and other time periods before Modernism. At first I thought we were going to look at Expressionistic art which I have no interest in. Painting four lines on a canvas in a diagonal direction to make some diamonds isn't art. Anyone can do the exact same thing. Not every artist can paint a woman in a black dress and a smirk and have it sit in the Louve for 500 years. I still don't understand the fascination with the Mona Lisa, but I have the intellect to understand it takes talent to paint the thing. Crafting an explanation point out of marble and suspending the top piece from the ceiling doesn't take talent.
We then saw the Holocaust Museum. It was interesting and sad. The stories I read were unbelievable. I was moved by the objects on display from history, however I didn't cry. James says this is because I am a robot. Maybe? It was sad and I finally have a better understanding of what the Jews went through in the concentration camps, but I have no personal connection to those people. And I don't mean those people.
The weekend was fun and I was really glad I got to see Korie. He cracks me up and I wish he would move up to Dallas. He isn't happy in Houston, but Jessica's family is down there. She wouldn't want to leave them. I had a good time and enjoyed the weekend.

No comments: