Saturday, January 29, 2005

Poker Entry No. 7

January 28, 2005
Players: 8 (However, I showed up late and at least three others had gone out already.)
Entry Fee: $10
Rebuys: 0
Place: 5
Winnings: $0

We played at Clint Hyslop's house. I arrived late and sat down with my first and last buy in for $25,000. In seven hands, I had $84,000. Some of this was luck, some was good betting on my part. The only hand I regret was the hand I went out on. I have thought about it since and am trying to decide if what I did was correct. I don't think it was but let's go over it.
First mistake: I had A-9 suited on the button and raised pre-flop. Clint H. re-raised me another $4,000. He likes to re-raise with some goofy hands, so I called. The flop was 10-9-4. No spades. He checked and I bet $20,000. He raised $20,000 and I called quicker than I ever have. Should this have set any bells off in my head? Probably, but let's move on. The turn was an Ace. This was one of the worst possible cards that could fall for me, only because of what he held. He immediately bet all in, which was $37,000. I had $34,000. I called pretty quick. Should I have thought longer? Would I have put him on the hand I should have? This is why I am not a pro poker player. He had pocket 10's. Only an Ace would help me on the river. It didn't come.
Lesson: The lesson here is not quite figured out yet because it is what some would call a trap hand. I had a very descent (that was for you Clint) two pair. I had position on him pre-flop and he does raise with some questionable hands. However, something should have probably registered. I probably shouldn't have bet so much on the flop with middle pair. If I had bet less I might have been able to get away from it when he raised me on the flop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think that you should post about this on the forum in the strategy section. you'll actually get responses that way, but it'll also get a new topic out there.

Matt said...

I might do that. This really is just for me. I know it sounds as if I'm asking for advice and I am posting it on a public site, but my poker entries are really just for my personal self improvement. I might add it to the forum though for something to talk about in case we run out of stuff.

Anonymous said...

I miss the blog. I think you are spending all your time posting on the forum and neglecting your fans.

Matt said...

I will agree. The black crack is taking up much of my time. I will post something today just for the fans.