Tuesday, January 25, 2005

It's Oscar Time

If you haven't quite figured it out yet, I love movies! I am partial to classics and films of substance. However, I enjoy a mindless action film just as much as the next guy. Well, it's time for the Academy Awards. While the Academy Awards is probably the most prestigious award ceremony, it's like the World Series, Superbowl and the other World Series all in one for me, it's to be hosted by comedian Chris Rock. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. I get extremely giddy around February, not because I take pleasure in black history month but because we find out what the best films of the past year were.
I will admit, sometimes the judges can be a bit snooty with their picks, but it's still better than the Grammies. Besides, they gave an Oscar to Eminem for "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile. They can't have too high of standards now can they. I'm just kidding. I actually thought his song was the best, but I didn't think they would give a rapper an Oscar. I also was biased for two other reasons. The first being U2 was nominated for "The Hands That Built America" from Gangs of New York. The other reason is Eminem didn't perform the song on Oscar night, which is customary, and I felt he didn't deserve the award for not caring about it.
Back on subject. Today was the date of release for the nominations of 2004. Leading the pack was Martin Scorcesce's The Aviator with 11 nominations. Just a few of the noms include Leonardo Dicaprio for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Picture and Best Director. Where it lacks is a Best Actress nomination which means it cannot win the Grand Slam Award which is what I call the winner of Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay (Adapted or Original), Best Director and Best Picture. Only three other films have achieved such an impressive feat througout history.Other nominated films are Ray, Million Dollar Baby, Sideways and Finding Neverland. I don't have any predictions as of yet, but I will keep you posted. I do have one favorite catagory I always feel very confident in and that is Animated Feature Film. I have guessed the winning film two out of the last three years. Spirited Away threw me for a loop in 2002. I went with Ice Age, which is a hilarious movie, but it didn't take home the gold. This year I would love to see The Incredibles win but it might be Shrek 2. Updates will be published.

No comments: