Monday, August 29, 2005

Let's Start A New Contest

I need a title for my column each week and I can't think of one. Go figure. I am going to start holding a contest to see if anyone can come up with a good title for my column. I will keep a running tab for who gets the most used titles. We'll do this for a while until I feel it has lost its fun. Keep in mind it has to be clean, appropriate and relevant. I don't have a prize yet, but I'll come up with something between now and then. Here we go...

This Labor Day Weekend will be a relaxing one for me because I have plans to go to the University of Texas Longhorn football game on Saturday with my mom, uncle and James, a college buddy of mine. Don’t be confused though, not a single one of us have ever attended UT.
Let’s go through the rules of being a fan really quick. To be a fan of a professional sports team, certain things must apply. You must have lived or currently be living in the city of your favorite team. If you do not live in a city with a sports team you must then find the closest team available. An exception to the first rule is if you inherited the love of the team from an immediate family member. If your father was a Packers fan, then it is okay for you to be a Packers fan, only because you grew up watching Lombardi lead the Cheese Heads to five championships. Thus, you are ushered in as an honorary fan.
The only other possible way of being a fan of a team you have no connection with is if you have a family member or close personal friend who is a player or coach on the team. This exempts you from the two previous rules and allows you to have a say in what the fans want during the season.
Now that we have cleared this up, the rules are basically the same for college teams. The only difference is instead of living in the city, you must have attended the college for at least one semester. If you went to more than one college, then it is acceptable to be a fan of both teams. Exemptions to this rule include Catholics are allowed to root for Notre Dame and Mormons can cheer on Brigham Young University.
This said, I should repeat that none of the ones going to the game on Saturday have ever enrolled in a class on the Austin campus. My friend and I attended Stephen F. Austin in Nacogdoches. My mom attended only a semester at a local junior college. The closest any of us came was myself taking an on-line course in journalism made available by the university and my uncle being accepted by UT but then was drafted to Vietnam and was never again given the opportunity to be a Longhorn.
However, all my life I remember burnt orange being all around me, my index finger and pinky extended during “The Eyes of Texas” and a mysterious infatuation with the name Bevo. In fact, I have heard stories about my uncle decorating his wedding reception with burnt orange. Even my cousin named his first child after Major Applewhite. That’s a bit excessive, isn’t it? Where did my family get this innate, uncompromising admiration for the fighting Longhorns?
From my understanding of the family history, my grandfather randomly picked the University of Texas as the college team he was going to root for during football season, but it was my uncle, his son, who took the love of orange much deeper. He is such a fan that he has shattered a television screen from throwing the remote control at it due to a poor play by the offense. No lie.
My mom is also a big fan of the team and my brother is really into college sports and follows the Longhorns religiously. I don’t understand it. We aren’t in compliance with the rules of fandom. We are supposed to cheer for either the Lumberjacks or the Mavericks, which are the mascots of SFA and the University of Texas at Arlington.
Some would consider the University of Texas at Arlington a branch of the UT system, which gives merit to being a fan for the Longhorns. Here is why it wouldn’t. UTA has its own mascot and different colors. The Mavericks are blue and white, not orange and white. Sure, UTA publishes a school paper called the Shorthorn and the students who wish to attend UT someday think they are little Longhorns themselves by enrolling at UTA, but they’re not.
When Saturday rolls around I will be yelling until my lungs bleed to kick Louisiana-Lafayette Rajin’ Cajuns’ tail on the field along with everyone else in the stadium, but in the back of my mind I will be wondering why I care so much for a team I have no emotional bond with.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

My entry:

"You're cheering for WHO!!??"

MS

poke said...

im pretty sure the reason you root
for a team you have no "emotional bond" with is biblical. your mom,
uncle, and cousin started teaching
you at an early age to root for the proper team and as Proverbs 22:6
says...Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. (KJV). so see its
a good thing ..now go scream till you bleed orange.

Matt said...

I figure by the end of tomorrow's workday. That would be 5 o'clock Chad, if you aren't sure.

james said...

fanUTacism

Anonymous said...

Amy, in order to be an OU fan, you either need to be toothless or really fat-n-trashy. Which one of these do you qualify for? Like Chad said, I think you are missing the point of the post. It was not a Red River war, it was about fandom. I bet you didn't even go to OU did you. That would make this column all about your dumb ass. If you did go to OU, I will withdraw the last comment. But that would definatley lead me to believe that the first sentence would apply. Which is it?

MS

Anonymous said...

Amy you don't seem like a very smart person.. Am I wrong?

Matt said...

Alright, that's enough. No more picking on the girl. You've had your fun and it is over now.

Anonymous said...

Amy glad to see that you go so far back in your devotion to OU. They were really shitty in 2000. That's awesome how you stuck it out through the Sooner's lean years. Great fan!!! Do you love the Patriots too. You a big Yankees fan too???

MS

Anonymous said...

Amy, I have nothing against you personally. I don't even know who you are. You Boomer Sooner crap just got on my nerves a little bit. Sooner fans as whole just bug me because of that exact stuff that you did. It just seems funny to me that 1. none of the fans went to the school and 2. They didn't have any fans that aren't indians (what's up Clint) before 2000. They always have some rationalization for why they are fans instead of just adimitting that they like a winner. Anyway, my post was a little over the line and I don't want a war.


MS

Anonymous said...

Guess I need to apologize. Sorry Miss. Amy, just joking around. I am toothless so you can poke at me now if you wanna

Anonymous said...

One more thing before I get off of this. Matt you forgot to include the "My school didn't have a football team so the reigning national champion is my new team forever or until they suck again exemption" in your article. You better edit. Oh wait, that does work does it.

MS

Anonymous said...

Come on guys war would be fun, these happy go lucky posts sometimes get a little old, but hey we can't start a war on the nice guy Matt's blog, or can we? Anybody have any comments?

Anonymous said...

No war, but hey now there is nothing wrong with the Cowboys, they are just a football team trying to make it. If people get a little crazy about the Cowboys it is just because they are sick and tired of hearing about those Rangers. Now come on guys they SUCK! REALLY BAD!

Anonymous said...

RANGERS ARE REALLY BAD THIS YEAR I DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THEM. THEY JUST PLAY LIKE THEY DON'T CARE. COME ON RANGERS WHAT IS THE DEAL, DON'T YOU ALL WANT TO WIN THESE LAST FEW GAMES, YOU ALL DO REALIZE THAT YOU ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, YOU LOST THAT CHANCE A LONG, LONG TIME AGO. MAYBE NEXT YEAR GUYS, MAKE A FEW TRADES, GET RID OF A FEW DEAD WEIGHTS AND MOVE ON TO NEXT YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I must agree to an extent with MS. You live in Dallas, yet you root for New England (Super Bowl Champs), you did not attend OU, yet you root for the Sooners,(National Title's in last 4 years). You go against all of the rules when rooting for teams. Except for your devotion to the Rangers. I am completely on board with you there. Even if they do suck right now, I have to pull for them. I love them.

But your love for the Patriots and the Sooners is a little crazy. You should pull for Dallas during football season, and I don't know where you went to college but you just don't pick a team and start cheering for them.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with Clint except for the statement about the Rangers, they suck and have sucked for a while now, come on guys just admit it, I know you are from around here but still if a team sucks they suck that is the end of it. If you live in Dallas you need to root for the Dallas Cowboys not the Patriots and I can only guess why you root for the Patriots (Tom Brady). Well now I can imagine you will deny it, but you are female and we ALL know how females act. Right guys?

Anonymous said...

Yes the rangers are not so hot right now, but a FAN does not only root for a team when they are winning. I love them and the Mavs. I was a MAVs fan back in the days of Brad Davis, Ro Blackman, and the 3 J's. They sucked then but I don't stop rooting for them and then become a fan again when they sign Dirk and Finley.

Anonymous said...

Yes you are right, i have and always will love the cowboys i loved them when they were Super Bowl champs and i loved them last year when they didn't do much of anything, i am not saying you have to root for a team just when they are winning, those are not true fans, but the rangers just suck and no nobody should stop rooting for them because they suck. i was just stating an opinion, if i have offended any ranger fans I am sorry. But you also should not like a football team based soley on what their players look like

Anonymous said...

AGREED

Anonymous said...

And you should never like a football team just because you visited their campus and fell in love with it. So you are saying you like the sooners because they have a good "pretty" campus, come on girl you are better than that. That is like saying hmmm I will go and visit Notre Dame's campus and if it is "pretty" I will root for it but if its "ugly" I will not. That is so just stupid. That is not a real sports fan that is somebody likeing a sport just because it has "pretty" players. Sound familiar to anyone?

Anonymous said...

This Clint guy has a good head on his shoulders, he will go far in life. I promise you that everyone.
MS

Anonymous said...

How can i start a blog of my own? I will entitle it to all the "TRUE" sports fans
MS

Anonymous said...

I did not right that last comment. Some chuckle fuck must think its funny to sign my name to his posts. Anyway for the record, I am not the one hanging from clint's nads.

the real MS

Anonymous said...

I am the real MS not you you weirdo, I don't hang from anyones nads, I delicately glide from them. So there, I am the true, one and only MS

Anonymous said...

hey you fake MS why the need for offensive language can you not get your point across without swearing?

Anonymous said...

yeah fake MS. You f-er!!!

real MS

james said...

so i guess that i am the only person who is going to suggest an actual title...

Matt said...

Both Mike and Chad have submitted titles.

Micah said...

I think Amy has every right to pick a team and cheer for them. I never went to Iowa State, but I grew up 30 miles from Ames and my mom went there, but I cheer for them more than I cheer for my own alma mater.

Growing up in Iowa, I got to choose what professional teams I rooted for. I don't think where you live has to determine who you cheer for. I may live in Texas now, but you will never catch me cheering for the Cowboys. Ever. Mark my words.

That said, these comments have gotten completely off subject and even if Amy's not offended with the way she's been treated, I am.

FOR MATT - my headline idea:
Fan loyalty should have guidelines
or
You don't choose your team, it chooses you

Lame, but I had to offer something other than defense for Amy.

Anonymous said...

Nobody is saying you can't root for whomever you want, all I'm saying is you shouldn't just root for a team that has "pretty" men on it. Sorry ladies. I am not trying to mistreat Amy, and I don't feel I am. I am just stating an opinion, that is what is wrong with people in this world, they don't understand the statement "FREE SPEECH' you can say anyng you want and you can have an "opinion." Does anybody know what the word means? OPINION! No harm intended

james said...

so basically you're telling me that my clever little play on words, or rather, play on letters, is up against:

*You're cheering for WHO!!??

*I'm rooting for the Longhorns and don't know why.

*Fan loyalty should have guidelines

*You don't choose your team, it chooses you

week one is in the bank for jimmy miller!

Micah said...

Liking a team for looks is like liking a musician for looks. The fantacism fades away when the talent's not there. Sometimes the pretty face is just the icing on the cake.