Monday, August 29, 2005

Red River Roundup A Success...

Just not financially though. Sorry for the late post, but most know how I did already. I played very well and made good decisions mostly. I was knocked out on a bad luck draw.
I was sitting with about $11,000 and the average stack was $7,500. I had been hitting a lot of good hands and some were paid off well. Luck had to reverse sides sooner or later. I got pocket nines and raised it to $1,200. Blinds were $200-400 and there were eight of us at the table and four of those had less than $5,000. It folded around to the big blind who went all in. I immediately called, because it was only another $3,600 to call. He flipped over 7-4 suited. That hand can be very dangerous if played out, but I don't know about going all in with it pre-flop. The guy was obviously bluffing and hoping I was just bullying the table. The flop came with a 7 and a 4. I never caught a nine or any other card to give be a better two pair so that knocked me down to $6,200.
The very next hand I was dealt 4-4. I raised again to $1,200. The guy next to me re-raised another $2,500. It folded to me and I was only left with $5,000. With the blinds going as they were and the table being so short stacked anyway, I decided to take my chances and try to win the heads-up battle. I went all in for the other $2,500 and he called with his pocket Aces. How ridiculous. I didn't win and was out of the tournament in 50th place. There were 73 entrants and my play was very good. It gives me a good state of mind to complete the TOC. Before this weekend I was pretty down on poker and I will still need a break after the TOC, but at least I can feel better about my play after this tournament's display.

No comments: